light me up! or not....

whiner2

:confused: hello all. i have a lighting question for you. i have a 29 gallon tank and i know that my lighting is not that great. currently i have 1 24" 17watt zoo-med reef sun 50/50. it says that it is a combo of 6500k trichromatic daylight phospor and actinic 420 phosphor (this is straight from the box and i have no idea what it means.) now i want to eventually have some nice coral in there, but still in 2nd week of cycle. most of the good stuff it seems is very expensive and kinda out of my price range right now. but i dont want to go cheap either and have everything go to waste. please help!!

fishcake

to keep certain corals, you will need at least power compacts if not metal halides ,which are very pricey. the lights you have are fine for fish only tanks

whiner2

any suggestion on what to move up to? is there a stronger flourecent to upgrade up to? i havent been able to find a good one yet.

fishcake

I use the coralife power compact deluxe 260 total watts. you could get the coralife power compact 24" with probably 2x 65 for 130 watts for about 120.00-130.00 or better if you shop around.