light only sps

legion

I can and will feed the tank if I must, but I was looking for some sps I could keep without phyto. I use a turf scrubber which may help release some food. I was hoping montipora digi or carpi would work.

iyachtuxivm

i am not 100% sure or anykind of authority but I dont think you have too feed as long as they have great light it wont hurt to feed some times. I have some sps that have been in my tank the entire time its been up. I dont feed it directly. It has good growth not as much as my lps that I feed 2 to 3 times a week

legion

I have 2 250w hqi ballast de and just have to retrofit the 220w of pc. Haven't had the time to add them to my hood. Everything else is okay and I have/ will have enough light. Just don't want to feed the tank and still want to add more diversity.

groupergenius

Most SPS dont require extra feeding. Welcomed, but not necessary. I have had substantial growth with my SPS without targeting them. Whether they get it from fish poo or a little excess from the foods I feed the fish, they seem to be growing just fine.

gatorwpb

Fish poo is the best food for sps. Thats why fishless sps tanks dont seem to have good colors.
I make my own fish food and Im sure the corals take in the very small pieces of that.
Amino Acids also are good "food" for sps, but you have to watch your nutrients if you dose AAs.

legion

Knowing there is no formula for such things. How many fish should could would you stock to create a more hospitable envoronment for sps in a 125?