Light problem, I need advice.

flower

I have a Coralife Elite. It has those self starting bulbs. They are not due to be replaced until September, I replaced the bulbs already when it was a bad ballast...however, now I have one side that ignights but instead of firing up it goes out. Is that a sign of a bad bulb, or do I have a short? I hate to buy a $70.00 bulb if it's a short or another bad ballast.
This unit was purchased 3/18/10 so a little over a year old old, it has had that same side ballast replaced 2Xs. I would not recommend Coralife lights or skimmers..in fact I don't think I will buy another coralife anything ever again.

lsboogie

can you swap the bulb from one to the other to test?. I know on our HID systems (I work with cars for work) that if the bulb fires and dies than "usually" its the bulb because the gas won't stay "lit".

flower

That's a good idea! I have to putz with the tank tomorrow so I will do it then and know for sure..Thanks

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind77 http:///forum/thread/384666/light-problem-i-need-advice#post_3370748
I have a Coralife Elite as well (48" 2x250w MH / 2x96w CF). Had the unit about 2 years now and not a single problem.

Mine is 48" 2X175W MH / 2X96W Actinic and I have had the one ballast replaced 2Xs...It's a heavy unit and I love the way it looks. I have it on a pulley to raise it up when I mess with the tank. I thought my unit was 2 years old as well, until I looked at my paperwork, it was 1 year on the 18th of March. My biggest complaint is that it won't take standard MH bulbs. It must have the self igniting bulbs and the only ones selling them are...Coralife! Go figure.
I also had a Coralife HOB skimmer that never worked right, either it flooded over, didn't skim or sent microbubbles everywhere.
I am just not happy with the brand. I was told they are going out of business...no wonder why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/384666/light-problem-i-need-advice#post_3370764

My biggest complaint is that it won't take standard MH bulbs. It must have the self igniting bulbs and the only ones selling them are...Coralife! Go figure.
I was told they are going out of business...no wonder why.
I do not know where you got that information but I do not think it is correct! I had the original 10000k bulbs replaced within a few months with AQUAMAXX 14000k bulbs (250w), had those in for over a year and wanted something a little less 'blue' so I JUST replaced them with the HAMILTION 140000k bulbs (250w). The bulbs all ignite and power up just fine. Where are you getting your information about the bulbs from???
I have mine suspended using the hanging kit that was offered as an assecory for the light system, works perfect, although a pully system would be even better....hmmm......
As far as going out of business, that I dont know, but I doubt it. Oh, and I also replaced my Coralife CF 420's with Current USA's 420's and those work perfect too.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind77 http:///forum/thread/384666/light-problem-i-need-advice#post_3370910
I do not know where you got that information but I do not think it is correct! I had the original 10000k bulbs replaced within a few months with AQUAMAXX 14000k bulbs (250w), had those in for over a year and wanted something a little less 'blue' so I JUST replaced them with the HAMILTION 140000k bulbs (250w). The bulbs all ignite and power up just fine. Where are you getting your information about the bulbs from???
I have mine suspended using the hanging kit that was offered as an assecory for the light system, works perfect, although a pully system would be even better....hmmm......
As far as going out of business, that I dont know, but I doubt it. Oh, and I also replaced my Coralife CF 420's with Current USA's 420's and those work perfect too.
I bought Phoenix bulbs and I had ballast problems. The lady from what used to be Coralife said that any bulbs that were not self starting would have half life if they worked at all. and blamed my Phoenix bulbs on why the light didn't work right. She sent me a coralife bulb and what do you know...it worked.
She then explained that coralife uses a pulse starting system and the bulbs needed to be self igniting. The insides of the coralife bulb is in fact different than the Phoenix. I got my Coralife Elite for $500.00 they were on sale big time because they are out of business and sold out to whoever the heck they sold it to and I talked to their Rep that day.
I admit my Coralife CFs worked without a flaw. Not so the master controller, it worked for 1 year and the timer for the actinic gave out. I'm not happy with the 250 HOB skimmer either.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBoogie http:///forum/thread/384666/light-problem-i-need-advice#post_3371077
Well? =)

1. The corals for the 90g are arriving today..they didn't make it yesterday. I ordered from another site. SWF didn't have the Palua neon green nepthea tree or the yellow ruffled leather I wanted. I spent over $200.00 at SWF, they just didn't even carry those corals.
2. I was at work last night and had to leave early, my knee gave out. I have my son in law here to help me with everything when it arrives and I will instruct him to help swap the bulb and see if that's the problem. I so hope it is, I already have a spare Coralife bulb, it's 10K but I don't care. I'm likely going to be off work for a while and being on sick benifits I won't have the $70.00 to spare now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/384666/light-problem-i-need-advice#post_3370923
I bought Phoenix bulbs and I had ballast problems. The lady from what used to be Coralife said that any bulbs that were not self starting would have half life if they worked at all. and blamed my Phoenix bulbs on why the light didn't work right. She sent me a coralife bulb and what do you know...it worked.
She then explained that coralife uses a pulse starting system and the bulbs needed to be self igniting. The insides of the coralife bulb is in fact different than the Phoenix. I got my Coralife Elite for $500.00 they were on sale big time because they are out of business and sold out to whoever the heck they sold it to and I talked to their Rep that day.
I paid about the same for my light system, I remember they were deaply discounted. I know they were no longer producing the 'elite' model and had upgraded to the 'pro' model with uses DE MH bulbs insead our mounts. They are magnetic ballasts and they are pulse starting but I have posted a number of different placed when asking opinions on replacment MH (providing my light fixture stats) and never once did I have a responce with someone saying I could only use CL bubls. I am curious what ballasts you have, if there is a difference between mine and yours?
Coralife, typed into google, always pulled up Oceanic Systems - that is where you could find the light fixture details, specs, pdf, etc.
http://www.oceanicsystems.com/
Now they they have a link to the NEW coralife site right on their home page:
http://coralifeproducts.com/
They do not list any larger MH fixtures so it is possible they had finacial problems and restructured, but they are still around.

lsboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/384666/light-problem-i-need-advice#post_3371126

1. The corals for the 90g are arriving today..they didn't make it yesterday. I ordered from another site. SWF didn't have the Palua neon green nepthea tree or the yellow ruffled leather I wanted. I spent over $200.00 at SWF, they just didn't even carry those corals.
2. I was at work last night and had to leave early, my knee gave out. I have my son in law here to help me with everything when it arrives and I will instruct him to help swap the bulb and see if that's the problem. I so hope it is, I already have a spare Coralife bulb, it's 10K but I don't care. I'm likely going to be off work for a while and being on sick benifits I won't have the $70.00 to spare now.
OUCH!. Sorry to hear about the knee. Good thing you have slave labor there (I'm sure he is well aware that if momma ain't happy, nobody happy) So I'm sure he'll do what ever he can to help. =).
Somewhere I have a mh bulb or two that I was told were only a few months old. I don't know much about mh set ups (i run t5s) but if it ends up being a bulb, I'll look for mine and get the specifics off them to see if I can help you out till you are back on your feet.
Just let me know.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBoogie http:///forum/thread/384666/light-problem-i-need-advice#post_3371217
OUCH!. Sorry to hear about the knee. Good thing you have slave labor there (I'm sure he is well aware that if momma ain't happy, nobody happy) So I'm sure he'll do what ever he can to help. =).
Somewhere I have a mh bulb or two that I was told were only a few months old. I don't know much about mh set ups (i run t5s) but if it ends up being a bulb, I'll look for mine and get the specifics off them to see if I can help you out till you are back on your feet.
Just let me know.
Honestly the folks on this site are so nice. such a nice thing to offer ....I had the new bulb...I posted another thread I have a new problem...It was the bulb on that side but now...