Light Recomendations

aquapod 24

I want to upgrade my stock aqua pod pc lighting to either t5 or HQI or possibly an affordable LED fixture. I already have a short list of lights that I am considering that are around my budget.
1. Cad light 150w HQI/T5 24" $270 (without bulbs)
2. Finnex 24" T5/LED 4 bulb/9 LEDs $300 (with bulbs)
3. Aqualight 150W HQI clip on light $260 (with bulb)
4. Wave point 4 bulb T5 24" $170 (with bulbs)
5. Sunlight supply Tek 4 bulb T5 24" $225 (without bulbs)
6. K-2 Viper 150w clip on HQI $220 (with bulb)
7. Possibly the cad light LED 120W $400 ( are there any other led lights that are reasonably priced and could keep sps corals?)
Are there any other fixtures that are around this price that you recomend or have personal experience with?. Also, could all of these fixtures keep sps corals and clams? ( all the T5 lights have parabolic reflectors)
Thanks for all of the input in advance!

nano-newb1983

I got a 24gallon Nano-cube with a 20" 150W MH Sunpod on, and it works awesome. Can keep anything with that light

Also a way to keep heat down is to get a small Slip on fan to blow over the top of tank

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNo-NeWb1983 http:///forum/thread/380568/light-recomendations#post_3312517
I got a 24gallon Nano-cube with a 20" 150W MH Sunpod on, and it works awesome. Can keep anything with that light

Also a way to keep heat down is to get a small Slip on fan to blow over the top of tank

+1 I use the same light on my 14G [just have to cut back on how long it's on] and it works great. I was able to pick mine up used for $100.

The clip on AquaLight is a really nice fixture. I've seen it on a few tanks now and everyone that has on likes it. It is the same light that comes with the HQI 29G BioCube setup.

I have the Viper clip on, used it for two weeks and hated it. A lot of people complain that they're not so great.

aquapod 24

ya i wish they still made the sun pod because it seems like a nice afordable fixture.... and the aqualight seems like a quality simple fixture

aquapod 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/380568/light-recomendations#post_3312565
how blue are you looking for in a light?
i dont need it super blue like some people because im used too my <10k lighting that i have right now but i would like my tank to have a nice crisp blue tint to it (12k - 14k?). i also like how those pinkish bulbs look (Figi sun?) which from my understanding can only be achieved by getting a fixture that has T5 bulbs in it.

how many of those cree LED $119 bulb fixtures would i need to sustsane sps corals?

nikesb

i highly doubt those kind of leds would really do much. maybe softies at best. for a aqua pod, you may want to look at nano customs for a led retro fit. i'm not an expert at leds, but my buddy uses about 15 cree's in his BC29 and theyre stronger than my t5's

aquapod 24

Seems like I would have a heat problem with that closed hood because I already have a temp problem with my pcs (up to 85F in the summer)!

T

tracher

i have aqualight i think its a great light... i have heard the bulb it comes with is bad but i didnt use it... my clam is fine so it must be we working

nikesb

led's are substantially cooler than pcs. moonlight led's are a total waste to me. i think it should only be turned on 2-3x a month. if youre looking for a different led light, ill shoot you a pm and see if you like it. it'll be bluer than what you're use to, but i heard it really makes things pop

T

tracher

yea but sometimes i like to turn them on idk just cause :) but the aqualight is cool because if u need to like feed your fish or anything else you dont have to move anything i think ima start another diary :)

aquapod 24

i really like that fixture and its for a great price! i will definatly look into that fixture some more because it seems great and it seems like it would be plenty for sps's and maby even a clam from what im reading. i just have one aqustion, how would i hand it. i have 10 foot celings and it would be almost 6 feet from the celing to the top of my tank. they have these yo-yo nhanging things that you can retract for waterchanges etc but it does not show the length. could i get those and if they ar not long enough then add some stainless steel wire to that, or does someone make something that i could hang the fixture from that either bolts in to the wall or hangs on the back of the tank? thanks for showing me that and i wonder why it is not a lot more popular?

Tracher, i like the moonlights too but only because my tank is in my bedroom so it acts as a nice dim light and i can lay awake and see my fish swiming around but i could mannage without them.

nikesb

the yo-yo's are no where long enough for a 6 foot hang. i had to return the yo yo's cause they were rather short. i know ATI has a long suspending kit that you could prolly mod to fit the fixture. a warning though, the main con of the fixture is that its apparently really loud

aquapod 24

i dont really mind the noise because my hood right now is super loud so thats not a problem. ill look into that ATI kit. are you sure that this light isnt overkill for my tank?

nikesb

i dont think so at all. hang it at 12" for softies/lps, and 6" for sps. theyre only 1w led's so it shouldnt be too strong