Light requirements for clams and sps in a 20g ...

Putting new lights in the 20g reef. Thinking either all pc (4x65 240w) all VHO (300w) or VHO/mh mix (250mh/2 75w actinics).
Question is this:
What can each of those setups grow ?
I was going to just put in 2 pc's, but I saw a clam yesterday I want BAD !!! The tank is 16" deep with a 4" dsb, so the clam or whatever would be a max 12" from the lights.
Mike

Wondering if on the mh, would I need a 175w or 250w. I don't want to cook anything !!! Is/Would 175w be enough (mixed with 2 actinics) ?

krusk

T12 VHO bulb 1.5" diameter
T8 NO bulb 1.0" diameter
T5 HO/NO bulbs 5/8" diameter
T5 is another form of floresenct lamps
cheaper compare to VHO (not much, becuase they are new to our aquarium trade) but the price will drop.
T5 Lamps longivity 5 years
They are start to lose lumen after 2 years.
drawback, not many CRI availible due to they are new to the market. (6500K daylight is availible)
Actinic Blue T5HO lamps is coming to US from Europe some time next year.
T5 Moisture proof endcaps will availible next year in US.
Regular T5 endcaps is in the market as we speak.
These bulbs come in lenght
22.5" 24W
34.5" 39W
46.5" 54W
58.5" 80W
These lamps have much more lumens output compared to VHO, PC, NO lamps.
That meant we have more light per watt
So "watt per gallon" is not a very accurate way of measuring light in the tank "period"

justinx

I have 2x75w VHO on my 20H, and its awful bright in there. If you are going to do this, have PLENTY of ventilation in your hood. I would even do a pendant if possible. My two vhos keep my tank at 81 degrees, i am yet to see my heater come on in over four months. just something to keep in mind. I am no expert, but my guess is that you would have a nice seafood stew with halides on a 20 (unless you use a chiller)
BTW, i have a maxima that has been very happy and GROWING under my VHO's. I was told it couldnt be done, but so far so good!! :D Hope that helps!
Keep me updated, because i still toy with the idea of a 70w HQI over my tank. I think that along with my VHO would do very nicely

S

sebae0

do the mh and pop a couple fans on the canopy. i got 675w of mh and once the fans kick in the temp actually drops a degree. of course though this is over a 180 with the lights approx 7" above the tank.