Light Timer?

gatorjit

I usually leave my house around 5a M-F for work and I usually get home early afternoon. My concern is feeding and lighting my tank. In order to feed them in the morning I get up, turn the lights on and let the fish wake up before I feed them. But the fact that I must feed them before I go to work leaves no time for me to enjoy my tank late in the evening with the lights on. I figure 12-14 hours of light is needed. I do have a timer on the lights, can I set it to turn on my lights for about an hour in the morning so I can feed the fish and then to come back on around 1p or 2p in the afternoon so I can enjoy them at night? Any suggestions, I do not want to stress the fish, I am in the process of cycling the tank with 4 damsels. They have been in the tank for 3 days now. Thanks..

broomer5

Have the lights come on in the afternoon and feed your fish in the evening - suggestion ;)
12-14 hours of tank lights ... do you have corals ?

gatorjit

No corals, 75SW FO. New to the hobby, been building tank for about 8 months finally got it started up about two weeks ago. Can I get by with one feeding a day? My LFS told me to feed twice daily?

broomer5

If it were me ......... I would not light a new tank 14 hours a day.
No real reason to until you get some photosynthetic critters.
It may promote excess algae otherwise.
You can feed once a day - no problem.
Some feed more than that - some far less.
I feed my tank about twice a week a good feeding - with very very VERY light feedings now and then in between.
The feeding of the fish really depends on the species.
Four Damselfish would be fine with one feeding in the evening - in my opinion.
Plus .... this way you'll get in the habit of feeding lightly :)
Just some suggestions - ya know
Good luck !!!

broomer5

Sure thing :)
You may want to encourage some others for their opinion on this too.
Lots of ways to run a saltwater tank.

gatorjit

I have learned there are many ways to do this. I have read several books on it and have seen different views and techniques.

cosmo

You could start the 12 hour schedule shortly before you get home in the afternoon. Feed them in their morning, your afternoon. Their day can start at a different time than yours.
cosmo