Light upgrade question.

jimmy 4

It took me 6 years but I finally got a better light for my tank. I'm replacing a 96w PC 50/50 with a 4x24w T5 fixture.
Will the upgrade in lighting be to intense for my corals?
Should I adjust the lighting schedule down in the beginning and slowly increase it back to normal.
Or should I just slap it on and have it on for 10hrs a day.
Its a 20 long...

nycbob

its not going to be an issue going from 92w pc to 96w t5. ur corals will get better lighting for sure.

jimmy 4

Ok one more question. What are my limitations with these lights? I really would lke to try some acros and montis. I also would love a clam but I'm afraid that my tank is way too small. I will probably have to buy some different bulbs. Im getting a Sundail Fixture...

nycbob

the sundial fixture is ok, but not great. the bulbs that come with it r ok at best. when 6-8 months pass, u should replace it with better bulbs from giesemann, ati or uvi. as far as clams go, i'd try my hand with a sps 1st such as montipora. if everything goes well after 2-3 months, then get a clam and place it high up.

jimmy 4

Thanks again. I doubt that I will ever put a clam in this tank. Maybe in the future when I am older and more settled I will be able to have a bigger tank... then I'll try one.

fanker

u can get a clam, u can get them small and when it gets big sell it. ur lights will be plents for anything in that tank, 20gs are shallow so the light can easilt penitrate to the bottom

jimmy 4

I thought that clams reauired a large tank because of thier ability to suck up tons of calcium to grow their shell