Lighting 10G

peat12001

Just wondering if a 18W compact florescent head will allow zoanthids to survive in a 10gal.
My understanding is about 5-8w/gal. is enough lighting.
I've been told compact fluorescents put out more light then stated? is this true? (18w like 75W)
I'm not looking for the best lighting for a 10gal. i want something that will allow my zoa's to survive w/ their color.
PLEASE HELP!
Big NEWB, no $$
reason for post is that i have this lamp already

reefforbrains

No flame here so forgive it it reads wrong.
The price of your average sized chunk of zoo is more than a used light.
Might hold off on the livestock and surf the classified section to really set yourself up properly before trying to stretch your systems abilities so eary on.
Will the light your asking about keep them alive?...probably could keep them limping along
Will the light your asking about keep them thriving and growing?....No
Even on a shoestring budget smaller tanks can be wonderfully outfitted for zoo and most soft corals without breaking the bank.
like mentioned above, please excuse me if I sound "preachy". I do however think you will be MUCH happier long term with proper equipment for your desired livestocks needs.
Many of the folks on this board all know one another and love to help one another.
Sorry if I am a broken record, but I vote to just keep an eye out on the classifieds for even a used fuge light when someone is breaking down a larger system. Should be readily available on the cheap and would really let you enjoy your tank to its full potential.
-RFB

mrmaroon

Save up a little $ and you can get a 55-65 watt PC that will be more than enough. You can definately find a good one used. I just sold three of them this weekend for $15 ea. New, they probbaly cost $75.