Lighting - 29 gallon

ppm411

I'm thinking of getting new lighting for my 29g. I currently have the stock 20 watt bulb. Seems that the best fit for me would be either an Orbit or a Satellite 30". They both have dual PC and dual actinic 65w each for a total of 130w, along with 2 lunar lights. Have any of you had experience with this type of fixture? I would like to add anemone later on and I'm pretty sure this won't be sufficient so I don't want to waste the money if I'm going to have to replace the lighting when the time comes. MH is just so expensive I'm trying to avoid it like the plague. Another question is, if I do get the Orbit or Satellite, would I need another cover? I can't see leaving the top wide open with critters crawling around. I would appreciate any advice.

rumrunner

A fixture like that would give you plenty of light for softies and most LPS. I believe the lights have acrylic shields so you can run them over an open top tank. You don't want to keep a glass top between your lights and tank. It really cuts down the light getting into your tank and it traps heat. To keep critters from jumping, etc. out of the tank, use the plastic eggcrate that is used for flourescent lights as a cover. You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes.

db

I would get one 250w Aqua Medic fixture. I used to think how you thought when I first got PC's, but later realized MH is the way to go. It's really not more expensive if you figure in the bulbs that you will have to replace. You can get a 250w pendant for just a little more than the PC's, and the bulbs last twice as long also. You will have to replace the PC bulbs after 6 months.

ithorian_r

i currently have a 29 as well. im in the process of upgrading the lighting and have been considering my options for a long time. i currently have 130w pc on my tank. i think what im going to do is buy a 30" 3x65w pc fixture. this will give me 196w total on the tank. that will be plenty of lighting for an anemone such as a BTA. im not wanting mh at all. with the 3x65w i can have zoos, polyps, softies and even lps. no sps however. this is just my opinion, if your not wanting to go mh, this would be a good option!

ppm411

Thanks to all for the advice
. Looks like I have more options than I imagined :thinking:
1. 2X65w PC
2. 3X65w PC
3. 1X250w MH
I guess what this all boils down to is what I would like to keep in the tank.
1. 2X65w PC
If I was to go with the 1st option, RumRunner mentioned that I would have plenty of light for softies and most LPS. My question is which softies or LPS would you suggest. I'm not looking to get crazy here, a couple of softies and a couple of LPS would be fine. I really just want to add some color.
2. 3X65w PC
ithorian_r, where did you find a 3X65w?.. this might be a good possibility for me. A BTA would be really nice
3. 1X250w MH
DB, I looked up the Aqua Medic pendant it looks like it would be more than enough light for me and I agree with you on the cost in the long run regarding bulb replacements. How would you recommend I mount it? hanging etc...
The rule of thumb is 5-6 watts per gallon, correct? So 150w - 180w.. maybe 200w would be sufficient. Do you all agree?

ppm411

doesn't seem to work.. "Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails......"

rumrunner

PPM,
I use 2x55wt over my old 29g and had mushrooms, leathers, green star polyps, zooanthids, trumpet corals, (LPS), open brain coral (LPS).
HTH