Lighting a reef question here! not equipment

grubsnaek

this is not an equipment question, but more of a photo period question, photo content question.... currently on my 125DT i have 3x 175w MH and 4x 160w VHO bulbs...
currently i run both sets of VHO lights for 9 hrs a day, and i manually plug in my MH and there on for about 6-7hrs a day. and i know the photo period should be longer, no? i am planning on getting new bulbs soon. and i want to change up my color bulb choice. my tank is stocked with mostly softies, very few LPS and a couple monti caps for SPS...
my current bulbs are
MH 10k
VHO actinic 03
what im thinking of
MH 14k (for the blue look)(poss 20k)
VHO 2x actinic white, 2x aquasun
so my questions are, with only few LPS, SPS do i really need a true actinic bulb or is the 14k good enough. also if i dont need actinic VHO bulbs, and using the actinic white+aquasun bulbs should i go with a 14k or a 20K MH bulb. and last question, how longs should i have my photo period. how long should my lights be on

herbanshaman

i.e. quality (spectrum), quantity (lumens or candles), and distribution (relating to type of system e.g. T5 VHO have even ratio of diffuse to direct irradiation) are the most important aspects of lighting any system; plant or light. Matching your species needs to the light is the true trick. With corals there is the added complexity of suiting your own eyes in additon to the symbionts photosystems.
How many gallons, and what shape is your tank? What do you have in it?
You do need more light hours, 12/12 is alright if you're conserving energy, Bit more is nice. Sounds like the lighting you have now is more than enough, and I wouldn't change the spectrum. It will look better to you, not them (although every 14K bulb is different).

grubsnaek

i have a 125DT...its a regular rectangle 125g aquarium...i have coral wise 4 monti caps(SPS) couple LPS(acan, frogspawn, etc) and alot of softies(zoas, leathers, mushrooms, etc)

grubsnaek

did you edit ur 1st post, cause i can of swore it said something diff...
and quick question. you said "and I wouldn't change the spectrum. It will look better to you, not them (although every 14K bulb is different)" why wouldnt it look better for them, cause of the 10k bulbs?

wangotango

I think around 8hrs of halide and around 10hrs of VHO is fine. Everyone runs something different. You will know whether or not to increase or decrease by your coral's reaction.
As far as spectrum. You will generally get more growth out of a lower K bulb like a 10K, but better coloration out of a higher K bulb like a 14-20K.
-Justin