Lighting and Algae Issues

D

delvin

I have a 75 gallon aquarium that has been up for 7 months. At one time I had issues with red cyano but was able to get rid of it via a blackout. A couple of weeks ago we decided we wanted to buy a clam. At the same time we upgraded our lighting to a 48 inch outer orbit lighting system. Now I am having an algae explosion both green and the red slime type. Will the green algae harm my live rock? Do I dare do another blackout with the clam in the tank?
Salinity 1.025, ph 8.2, amonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, temp 79
thanks in advance for your help.

jds31788

i dont know alot about algea and i have a bad brown algea problem im my tank as it is.. tried the blackout thing today but i have fern kalerpa that i cant let die... i dont think the green will hurt.. as for the red... i dont know if id do a blackout or not. is there any way you can block the light to everything except the claim.. i used cardboard and towels to black the light in my tank because i have mangroves in my filter that have to share the light..left me know what u decide. hope this helps

wax32

Green algae won't hurt your rocks... a few snails/crabs will take care of it. A blackout won't help your red slime (cyanobacteria) problem and would harm your clam. You need to get your phosphates down. Get a test kit... they should be undetectable. Water changes, RO water, phosban, feed less: four things that will help.

jumpfrog

The algea will only grow if it has 2 things (food and light). It could be that you already had a high nutrient level and the extra light was enough to get the algea going.
Look for the food source. You show nitrates as 0. That's great but a another check, maybe from LFS would validate. Next I would check for phosphates.
Remove the food source and the algea will die off.