Lighting and calcium for coraline in a FOWLR.

zantho

So, I'm not thrilled with the coraline growth in my FOWLR and I know there are things I can be doing to help it along. It's a 72g bowfront with the same single strip 40W NO bulb fixture that came with it. I've been running the current bulb for way too long, but with FOWLR it's easy to let that slip.
Please help me pick a new bulb. This tank will never be a reef (that's a seperate tank) so I'm not looking to upgrade the lighting, just replace the bulb. I was thinking a standard Coralife daylight bulb, but do I want a 10,000 or a 20,000?
The second part to this is calcium levels, I'm just using standard Instant Ocean in this tank. I'm not testing calcium yet being that this is a FOWLR, and I won't make any changes until I do, but what would be a good approach for this if I determine I'm a bit lower that I need to be? I was thinking a switch to Oceanic salt, being that that's rich in calcium. But I've got so much IO left for now. Or would I benefit from kalkwasser dosing? I heard that was more of a maintenence than a raise it up sort of treatment. Should I get Purple-Up? Or is this a waste of money? Advice?

bang guy

If you only have one bulb I'd suggest a URI ActinicWhite. Replace it once a year.
Test Calcium & Alkalinity. Limewater is excellent but it should be dripped in overnight to replace evaporated water, not poured in all at once.
Limewater will raise Calcium and Alkalinity but don't use it unless you test for Calcium and Alkalinity. B-Ionic is an excellent product to help balance levels. I don't know why everyone says limewater won't raise levels, it definately will.