Lighting and water Observation

rsd

I know that a lot of people flame badly over the term watts/gals. I agree it isn't the best term to use, but useful for someone new.
However, even in talking PAR ratings, specific wavelengths, nanometers, etc. I couldn't help but make an observation coming back from hawaii. I had a cheap disposable underwater camera for that trip. i took several pictures... 1 of which I knew the eactly what I wanted.
Hawaii: Photo of encrusting coral. 8' deep under water, 45 deg angle, 2 feet away from subject.
Then when I got home I used the exact same camera with the same film and photo'd again.
Home: Encrusting coral, 26" under water, 45 deg angle, and 2 feet away from subject.
Out come: The photo in Hawaii was bright and amazing... under full lights in my tank... almost black.
Upgraded to metal Halides... the outcome is almost identical. I am currently running 450 Watts HQI and 576 watts PC over 200 gallons. Everything is doing great... but still no comparison to what you can see at 8'.
I know, there is a huge difference between full spectrum sun light and specific wave length, yadda, yadda,. Just an observation. I'll be in Florida this month and am taking a light meter with me. I am hoping to get some acurate spectrum analasys without destroying the meter under water... maybe shed some light on it for my own curiousity.

rsd

I'll have to import them into the computer. SInce it was a disposable 35mm they are very analog. :) I just purchased an Olympus that I will take to Florida as well (the 35mm just to do the comparison with). But digital will auto adjust to lower light... harder to do a comparison with.
Water flow is the same... we worry about too much flow from a tiny power head... if you've snorkeled or dive, you see that the ocean produces absolutely POUNDING surges and flows. The difference is that it is a surge... not a stream.

sign guy

Originally Posted by RSD
Water flow is the same... we worry about too much flow from a tiny power head... if you've snorkeled or dive, you see that the ocean produces absolutely POUNDING surges and flows. The difference is that it is a surge... not a stream.
I quite using power heads and swiched to the wave2k a while back much better and closer to the currents you see in the ocean