Lighting / Canopy Advice

smfoister

90 Gallon Tank and I'm looking at the Current Orbit Marine LED's 36"-48" but I also see that they sell a 48"-60".

Does anyone have these lights in a 48" canopy? Which one did you go for? the 46-48 or 48-60? I think I'm mostly concerned with the fit, but also interested in the lighting differences in the two models. I'll be building a custom canopy and want to make sure I'm not building something that will fit my lights.

smfoister

Will be going with reef safe fish and inverts with the intentions to move into softs at some point, if I ever move into anything more advanced I'll buy a second fixture.

snakeblitz33

I wouldn't use them for soft corals. They don't have enough PAR to really grow anything besides maybe some coralline algae and cyano.

I looked them up, and for the price of the orbit brand new - ~$200, you could get two 165w Chinese dimmable LED fixtures with the dimmer switches and everything that are capable of keeping nearly any coral you want to put in the tank. The 165w Chinese LEDs are about $98 each right now and sometimes later in the year they go down to about $80 each.

Same price, much more PAR and includes most of the features that the Orbit does. You can dim it down to grow soft corals, dim it up to keep LPS, SPS and anemones.

smfoister

I keep seeing people say "chinese box" but no one ever says what the things are actually called. Are we afraid of saying the name or something? I mean, what you say sounds appealing but googling "chinese box" just lands me in a really trashy part of town. :)

snakeblitz33

Lol!!!

We can't post links on this forum to direct members to buy at other retail sites than this one. It's one of the horrible rules on this forum that I have a lot of problems with and that has driven many people away from this forum.

The other rule is to keep everything rated PG which does nothing but hamper the business of this online retailer. But, what can you do,... When you have thousands of members and one or two people complain, you gotta tick off a few thousand people to make those two happy.

Do a search on EBay for 165w LED aquarium light. It should be the top choice, if not close. For about $100.

engineer

What are you guys recommending for coverage of these lights. My tank is 84x 16 x 25. Have been looking into these for a couple weeks now. But material is pretty vague as far as coverage goes.

pegasus

I won't go into too much technical stuff about Current and "Chinese box" (and most other) LED fixtures, but I'll tell you why I don't use LED's. The bargain-basement fixtures use cheap, off-the-shelf LED's who's emitters can have a broad spectrum (ie: emitter advertised @ 6000K... actual spectrum @ 6000-9000K), not a specific, steady wavelength. Some of the "middle-to-upper class" fixtures use older generation Cree or Bridgelux chips, but due to either circuitry shortfalls (such as daisy chaining) and/or cheap drivers, they tend to be out of (advertised) spectrum as well. Dimmable LED's... only top end LED fixtures use Pulse Width Modulation to "dim" the LED's, which keeps the emitters in correct spectrum, while all others use current reduction, which further alters the spectrum. Dimming with current reduction also creates extra heat by causing the LED's to use more energy... more energy than at full power. If a fixture has a fan on it, you can be sure that it's using current reduction. If you buy LED for a reef tank and see a chart for PAR, that's all fine and dandy. Is there also a chart for PUR? PUR is far more important to a reef tank than PAR.

Top end LED manufacturers pay premium prices to have exclusive rights to the newest generation LED's, and that's why they are so expensive. All others use older technology coupled with cheap(er) construction processes. They'll often add cool little bells and whistles like cloud, storm, lightning, sunrise and sunset features, and add different colors to make your coral's colors "pop", but these are all sales gimmicks to make their products more attractive. Some people have some success using them for some corals, but the results can vary from one to the other... very dramatically. Top end LED's grow healthy corals by providing the proper wavelengths, so their colors "pop" naturally.

Long story short: I don't use LED's because I can't afford them. I can't pay the premium price quality units demand, and I have too much invested in my tank to gamble that I'll be one of the lucky people who's able to maintain healthy corals with a cheaper lamp. That's why I use T5 HO lamps. Sure, I have to change the bulbs every year, but I can control the spectrum as needed. With my current setup, I have plenty of softies, a couple of LPS, and a couple of SPS. I don't have more LPS or SPS because I wanted to try the current specimens for about a year before investing in a bigger collection. It's been a year. They're all thriving under the current lights. I'm sticking with what works, at least for me. Instead of forking out $1K+ for top end LED, I'd rather add new corals to my tank. Just my 2c...

snakeblitz33

There are way more people who have success stories with cheap chinese LEDs than don't. Some top quality LED units even have to have a small fan. Some people actually like the dimming controls and the modes on advanced units. I personally do. I doubt that any fluorescence made by any kind of man made light is close to natural. Light makers have developed lights to meet the needs and demands of consumers. Period.

T5HO lights have their drawbacks and obvious shortfalls too. So do metal halides. So does VHO and power compacts. I've used a bit of everything and a combo of them all. I like LEDs for the exact reasons you said you don't like them.

The fact is, they are here to stay. This hobby is advancing and LED is the future of lighting.

stern

I dont have coral's just a Fowler 75 gallon, what is the best LED to buy for the brightness and to make the color of the fish pop? I see a lot have two modes, white or blue night mode, do I look for a colors in the LED and what about the wattage? I see some are 1w or 3w per led? I have a T5 fluorescent now, which is good, but want something brighter. I also noticed some have more LED chips and some have fewer but bigger led chips, or are they just Cree, which is magnified led.

lmforbis

I have 2 of the Chinese LED fixtures over my 55 gal tank. They are much, much brighter than the VHO lights I used to have. I have them set at about 75% for the blue and less than 50% for the rest of the lights. I adjusted the two colors until the tank looked the way I wanted. I have separate timers for the blue and the rest of the colors. Each of my fixtures has 55, 3W LEDS. About half are blue the rest are a mixture of mostly white with a couple green purple and reds thrown in.

snakeblitz33

I dont have coral's just a Fowler 75 gallon, what is the best LED to buy for the brightness and to make the color of the fish pop? I see a lot have two modes, white or blue night mode, do I look for a colors in the LED and what about the wattage? I see some are 1w or 3w per led? I have a T5 fluorescent now, which is good, but want something brighter. I also noticed some have more LED chips and some have fewer but bigger led chips, or are they just Cree, which is magnified led.
A fish only tank doesn't need high powered lights. A Marineland doublebright is fine and will make the colors Pop like you want. And they are cheap.

silverado61

Marineland sells LED lights for both freshwater and saltwater. LEDs for saltwater are sealed where as freshwater LEDs are not sealed and are not recommended for saltwater.

snakeblitz33

Good job pointing that out.

Yes, get LEDs designed for saltwater tanks to put over your saltwater tank.

I also suggest a GFCI unit to protect yourself against major electric shocks.