lighting dilemma

komet

lighting dilemma
Im still having problems deciding between VHO and PC lighting for un upgrade. Ive narrowed it down to an Ice Cap 660 or a Coralife 260 watt aqualight. I have a 90 gallon reef with mostly soft corals. My goal is to be able to successfully keep some LPS and possibly some SPS with lower light requirements.
My current lighting consists of 160 watts of NO and 192 watts of PC. If I go with VHO Ill have 440watts + the 192 PC. If I go PC, Ill have 452 watts and probably stop using the NO unless I can still fit a couple. Obviously, having more light is probably better but is it the best option for what Im trying to do? Having 632 watts of lght seems like a bit too much for the type of corals I mentioned. At least cost wise with the bulbs and energy consumtion. Would the 440 watts of VHO be enough??? I know the Ice Caps can run PC also, so should I use a combination??
I need some suggestions as to how to achieve the best lighting spectrum for corals given my 2 options. Also, will upgrading my lighting have any ill-effects on my current softies like shrooms and yellow/green buttons and cloves??? Or will it cause a ridiculous algae bloom???? My tank is 20 inches deep btw.
I really appreciate any input as Im having a real hard time deciding. I want to do this right!
Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

murray bmf

I had pc's and switched to VHO-I think that is the way to go. With the VHOs you can change bulb sizes, it requires rewiring the bulbs but it can be done. With PC's your stuck. Where does this come into play, if you buy a bigger or different size tank. I ended up buying a ballast from hello lights. I'm very satisfied with it.

tinker1227

If you decide to go with the Pc's, take this suggestion and go with the Custom Sea Life 260 Watt fixture. I have both (aqualight and CSL) and the difference is incredible. The actinic blues are much more like VHO actinic and not purple like the aqualight, and the lights in general are quite a lot brighter. It also has a 3 inch fan. It costs about 30 more dollars but is definately worth it. I have LPS and some Sps, montiporas and a pagoda cup coral so far , but they are doing well under this lighting.