Lighting for 150 gallon (48"x24"x31")

scottgarden

Love the website. I'm looking forward to setting up my 150 gallon salt tank. I will have some corals but concentrating mostly on fish. Any information would be great as to what kind of lighting all of you prof's recommend.
I guess I should let you guys know that I'll have approx. 175lbs live rock and 2" to 3" of live sand.
Thank you advance for the help!!!!!!
Scott

sly

Most people recommend Metal Halide lighting. It delivers far more light output than any of the other types and is best for hard to raise corals. You normally want at least 5 watts per gallon but this is not a fixed rule. Depending on the corals you raise and the depth of your tank, this figure can be higher or lower.
Consider getting two or three metal halide fixtures and also some power compact actinics. Cooling fans built into the fixture are nice as well as LED moon lights for night time.

scottgarden

I was looking at this light on the net today. Let me know if this is junk?
Odyssea Metal Halide System (Electronic Version) <-Not sure what that means exactly?
48"x15"x3"
2x 250w HQI
4x 65w CF
6x Bluemoon LED
760w total output
2x external electronic HQI ballasts
1x internal electronic CF ballast
$359. I thought this was way cheap so there must be something up with the product.
Can I please get a little bit of feedback on this?
Thanks

hey i was also looking at that fixtrue today 36"442watt Odyssea Metal Halide System i also was wondreing if it was any good..price was not bad at 259.90 anyone know anything on them? anyone own one? :notsure:

rudezuk

Everyone is overlooking VHO's these days. I have VHO's over both of my tanks, and I am having amazing results too!
I have 6 48" bulbs over my 125 (5' long tank) and i have 4 36" bulbs over my 45.

rudezuk

Everyone is overlooking VHO's these days. I have VHO's over both of my tanks, and I am having amazing results too!
I have 6 48" bulbs over my 125 (5' long tank) and i have 4 36" bulbs over my 45.
How tall is your tank? The 25" or 31"?

tank is 36 Wide, 16 ½ at bow, 21 in tall i was thinking of the nova extreme 156watt t-5 but now im thinking of geting 36" 280watt Aqualight Pro HQI/Compact. kind of pricey but ill just wait another mounth to get it