Lighting for 72Gallon tank

gdleader

ok I recently got a 72 gallon bowfront tank with 120 pounds of live rocks and sand with a coralife power compact 4x65W Dulex Series lighting system. I went to buy some corals (since I want to have a reef tank) from a local saltwater store and they recommanded me to get 400W+ for my tank. So I've been looking around and found Odyssea 48" 760W Metal Halide System (Electronic Version) which should have more than enough light. Now my question is this enough light or too much? and how is the unit? as I read how some had bad experiances with odyssea units.

agent707

Tek 8-bulb T5 432 watt setup and you will be able to put ANYTHING in your tank.
Around $550 shipped.

gdleader

Ah I see Agent. I did find a Tek 8-bulb T5 fixture but without any bulbs and it's $370 with free shipping. They do have a list of the bulbs but I'm not sure if they're any good or any other places to find better bulbs?
1. D-D Giesemann Blue Actinic Plus or Blue: $18.00 per lamp
2. D-D Giesemann Midday: $18.00 per lamp
3. D-D Giesemann Aquablue: $18.00 per lamp
4. D-D Giesemann Pure Actinic Plus or True Actinic $18.00 per lamp
And which colors would be best for reef tanks?

gdleader

so 6 bulbs is enough at 324W to have any sorts of corals/anemones in my tank? sound good! But another question which type of lights would be best for reef tanks? True Actinic and Midday or other types?

dragonzim

You should be able to keep whatever you want with the 6 bulb fixture. I just put one on my 75 and it is amazing! I've only got a few softies and a hammer coral in there so far, but I've seen some amazing growth in the last few weeks since I got them. My kenya tree has tripled in size and some xenia that I have has about doubled since I got it.

reefraff

Tak a look at the aquactinics 5 lamp fixture. It will put out more light than the 6 lamp Tek.

gdleader

Sounds great Pricing wise on these fixtures are rather good and being able too keep whatever just sounds amazing! :D If I ended up getting any of these fixtures I'll deff. get daylights and true actinic bulbs. Also anyone know how is Odyssea 48" 760W Metal Halide System fixture is? it sure got lots of power though I was thinking to myself of buying 2x150 HQI instead of 2x250 to lower the light level (Just a thought though).