Lighting for 75 gallon tank

mnieder

I recently purchased a 76 gallon tank and i would like to add corals and anemones. What would be a nice, but cheap lighting system for the tank. Also, will i need to buy a chiller. I would like to stay away from them because from my research they can be quite expensive.

scsinet

You don't necessarily have to have a chiller.
What is your lighting budget? Anemones require very intense lighting, which basically means that lighting might be pretty expensive.

btldreef

I have Current Nova Extremes T5HO's on my 155G, also had them on my 40G and had/have no issues keeping anemones and my LPS and softies look great. I do have issues with SPS however. The only SPS I'm having any luck with is montipora.
Do yourself a favor and just save up and get metal halides. If you really can't afford metal hallides, get T5HO's and then add Ice Cap ballists to them.

mnieder

Would this be a good light?
Coralife 48 Inch Aqualight Plus W/ 4-96W Sq. Pin Base And 4-3/4W Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED Lamps

btldreef

Don't do power compacts, they're not strong enough for a 76G, unless you're going to do barely any coral.
You can get T5's for a similar price and be happier with the output. Look into Current's Nova models and Wave Point T5 lighting.

scsinet

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3156352
Don't do power compacts, they're not strong enough for a 76G, unless you're going to do barely any coral.
You can get T5's for a similar price and be happier with the output. Look into Current's Nova models and Wave Point T5 lighting.
Plus, power compacts have to be replaced twice as often as halides and 3 times as often as T5. They are cheaper to purchase up front, but literally, within a year, you've eaten up your initial savings and then some in lamp replacements.
The only lighing systems worth considering for anemones are T5 and Metal Halide.