Lighting for a 140 FOWLR?

gotpancit

Going by the general rule of thumb of 3-5w per gallon, I'd need about 420-700w! That sounds like a lot to me.
That means I need 8-10 54w T5's? Thats $136-$180 in just t5 lights not to mention the ballasts and reflectors that are needed.
Is my math about right?

saltymarine

You do not need a siginificant light source for FOWLR. I would almost bet that the standard Marine NO lights would work just fine. If you get into corals and stuff like that then you will need an upgrade. I have never really seen a specific light requirement for live rock.

9supratt4

FOWLR you do not need a specific lighting. Only when you get into corals will you need to upgrade your lighting.

canareef

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
http:///forum/post/2941852
FOWLR you do not need a specific lighting. Only when you get into corals will you need to upgrade your lighting.
+1
But I would look into a light (bulbs) that will accent the colours of your fish and rock work. Go to your LFS and see what they are using for bulbs if you like their lighting. Also look into the photo section of this forum and look at other peoples pics and see what you like and ask them what they are using.

saltymarine

Originally Posted by canareef
http:///forum/post/2941876
+1
But I would look into a light (bulbs) that will accent the colours of your fish and rock work. Go to your LFS and see what they are using for bulbs if you like their lighting. Also look into the photo section of this forum and look at other peoples pics and see what you like and ask them what they are using.
+1
This is what I was saying by "Marine NO" you can get different color spectrums even on NO bulbs.

gotpancit

Great thanks for the info guys. Sure saved me a couple of bucks! I think eventually I'll add some softgoods but thats awhiles down the road.
I'm thinking since the tank is approx 72" long I could install four 36" t5's. two on one side and two on the other.