Lighting for a 55 gal tank

scott t

I was wondering what light would be good for a 55 gal reef tank. With fish, live sand, live rock and want to put some zoas, maybe brain coral, Bubble nem, and maybe a few Favites.
i was wondering if maybe a 150 watt Metal Halide would work or maybe a 432 watt T5?? Any Suggestions on this? Thanks in advance!!

luvmyreef

I have to agree with previous post. If you are not going with metal halides, go with a high end t5 light fixture with individual reflectors. There are different opinions out there, but the nova extreme pro is a good fixture, and I would go with the 6 or 8 bulb fixture. It is what I use. But I believe there are some newer fixtures, like the one that NYCBOB switched to.

J

jstdv8

I don't think they make an 8 bulb pro model (which is the one with the individual refelctors) i could be wrong though.
I have the 6x56 nova extreme pro. its a good bang for your buck fixture. I havnt had any problems with mine. up and running for 7 months. I will be changing to API bulbs when my first year is up though. much better color selection in thier line. API also makes some nice fixtures.
as for the halide, its hard to beat the shimmer. But you don't have to deal with heat issues and there are more colors to choose from since you have so many combinations to mix and match with t-5's
Either bulb is going to grow corals for you.

scott t

thanks i am looking at the Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights
Length Total Watts # T-5 Bulbs # Lunar Lights
48" 432 watts 8-54 watt 4
lighting fixture the "Drs" have it on sale right now for a great price from what i have seen other places....

luvmyreef

they do make a 8 bulb fixture, not sure if it has individual reflectors, but yeah the 6 bulb fixture does. And yes, I use the ATI bulbs and WOW, my corals love them! I even have an acro that is growing good. Switch to them, and see for yourself!!

scott t

yeah just looked them up also only the Nova Extreme Pro comes with the individual Reflectors in them. I was looking at the other because of the Lunar Lights for night time. Any suggestion on that for night viewing???

luvmyreef

If you go with the 6 bulb nova pro, you will have to purchase moon lights. There are several out there, some you can mount, etc. I recommend using the blue lunar lights not the white.

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3283789
I don't think they make an 8 bulb pro model (which is the one with the individual refelctors) i could be wrong though.
I have the 6x56 nova extreme pro. its a good bang for your buck fixture. I havnt had any problems with mine. up and running for 7 months. I will be changing to API bulbs when my first year is up though. much better color selection in thier line. API also makes some nice fixtures.
as for the halide, its hard to beat the shimmer. But you don't have to deal with heat issues and there are more colors to choose from since you have so many combinations to mix and match with t-5's
Either bulb is going to grow corals for you.

i have to agree i price out the best quality to price when shopping for stuff ( due to really really low budget) and novas are some of the best quality to price ive seen

twood

Originally Posted by luvmyreef
http:///forum/post/3283791
And yes, I use the ATI bulbs and WOW, my corals love them! I even have an acro that is growing good. Switch to them, and see for yourself!!

Which ATI bulbs do you use? I am about to purchase some ATI bulbs for my Nova Extreme Pro on my 55 gal and am trying to decide which ones to get.

luvmyreef

I use ATI aquablue special 12000k, and ATI blue +, and I am going to add one KZ fiji purple to the mix with my next order.

J

jstdv8

Originally Posted by luvmyreef
http:///forum/post/3283791
they do make a 8 bulb fixture, not sure if it has individual reflectors, but yeah the 6 bulb fixture does. And yes, I use the ATI bulbs and WOW, my corals love them! I even have an acro that is growing good. Switch to them, and see for yourself!!

yeah, I knew they made an 8 bulb fixture I don't think they make it in the pro model with the IR's :)

J

jstdv8

wouldnt be surprised at all if you get as much or more par with less electricity with the 6 light with the better reflectors. Somebody should do a test on that.

btldreef

If you don't go with the Metal Halide that we've been discussing in messages, the Nova Extreme (which I told you about months ago) is an excellent fixture.
The lights are made by CurrentUSA and they're terrible, so you'll want to replace them fairly quickly. I would at least replace them before you try an anemone (which you're tank won't be ready for right away anyways).
You might want to also look at WavePoint's fixtures. I was very happy with my 36" model and I really like their stock lights.
You'll want moon lights, trust me. There's nothing like looking at your reef at night. When you're new to the hobby, you'll be amazed at how much the tank changes from daylight to moonlight and I can guarantee you you'll stare at it at night under the moonlights going "WOW, look at that.... look at this...." for hours!