lighting for a 55 reef

hello,
you might have seen my brand new 55 reef but now i have a quick question about it. i need to know what light ing to get. so if anyone have a 55 reef or knows what is good lighting to get plz let me know if you have a pic plz post. thank you
-KingofNinx-

mrmaroon

I run a 55g with softies only. I have custom sea life power compacts for a total of about 220watts. That should be enough for softies, but if you want hards, you will probably need more.

prock

Can someone please help us.....
I'm looking the same. I need lighting for
a 55g for reef set up, but going to upgrade
later my tank is 36" long. Looking for MH.
How many whats, and if any more kinds of lights, and
watts and color please help.

bobbravo2

In my 55, which is 48" wide, I use two 400w MH XM 10,000 k (kelvin) bulbs. They are supplemented by 110w actinic Power Compact bulbs.
FYI - Kelvin (color temperature) is pretty much your choice of asthetics. Look at this site for pictures of MH color temperature This is a great info page, for choosing your color temperature.
I use 10000k because it provides a wam, midday sunlight color. I use the blue bulbs to provide the blue spectrum that corals need.

nm reef

Direct links to sites selling aquarium related products are prohibited here. We try to keep this site commercial free.
But there are countless resources available for information and products out there. We just don't want them listed or linked here.
The type and source of your lighting will depend on what you plan to keep in your 55 gal reef. The options are virtually limitless. I've run 4x65 watts of CSL 10k PC's and 2x110 watts of super actinic VHO's over my 55 for over 2 years now with success(in my opinion)...the website below has numerous pics of my lil 55.
Research the available types of lighting products available...then decide what type corals you'd like to keep...then carefully select a lighting source to meet the demands of the corals/reef you'd like to maintain.:thinking:
NM Reef

attml

I have a 55 gallon SPS Coral & Clam tank and I run 2 250w MH - 10K Ushios off of a standard PFO ballast and 2 110w URI VHO Super Actenics off of a Icecap 660 ballast. IMO, This is a great setup for my 55gal. I get great color and growth.

smarls

I run a 55 (48 inches long) with 240 watts of PC light only (50% actinic). I keep softies (Lots of ricordia, zoos, shrooms, etc.) and a few LPS (hammer, frogspawn, and a candy cane). I also keep two sun corals.
All of my corals, including the LPS, are growing and are healthy. (although yes, before anyone adds it, I am sure the LPS would grow faster under MH!) I have never used MHs, as I have been scared off by the additional complexity of using them (chillers etc.)...yeah, I am a big wimp when it comes to my tank!
I think it is easy enough with PC or VHO to keep pretty much anything in a 55 by varying the depth depth at which you place each specific coral within the tank (my LPS are higher, my shrooms are lower). This would be even more important with a 36" long tank, as in the deeper tank the light would obviously have more trouble penetrating to the added the depth. I would probably avoid SPS and clams, but other than that, I think anything else would prbably thrive.
HTH
Stewart

ok i think i might of found a light that sutes my needs. plz tell me if this is ok.
48" PowerCompact/Moon-Lite Fixtures
2 - 65W 10000K Ultra Daylight / 2- 65W Actinic Blue / 4 - Moon-Lites.
* Size : 48.5" x 8.5" x 4.5"
* Black powder coated metal hoods
* Independent controls for dawn, dusk and moon lighting
* Built-in performance-tuned electronic ballast
* ultra-quiet fan provides optimum air flow and ventilation
2nd choice:
PC 48" Fan Cooled ABS... 4-65W
* FAN-COOLED HOODS
* 2- 65W Daylight / 2- 65W Actinic Blue
* Size : 48" x 9.5" x 5"
* The original, proven PowerCompact fixture
* More than 3-times the light of a standard fluorescent
* The ballast assemblies for dawn and dusk simulation
* Ultra-sleek, fan-cooled hood ideal for hanging or direct placement over aquarium
Made of a textured ABS plastic, this hood is designed to be placed directly on top of your aquarium. The electronic ballast assemblies with a switch and power cord for each ballast allowing dawn and dusk control, 15' cables with quick disconnects, cooling fan, acrylic lens , two 6700K Ultra-Daylight, two 7100K Ultra-Radiant Actinic Blue, and an installation booklet.
so like i said i dont not know what one to go with if some one can help me that would be great .
*P.S* i dont know if i should post the prices.

nm reef

I have run CSL (Custom Sea Life) PC's for over 3 years...4x65 watts ea...mine are supplimented with 2x110 VHO's so I have a bit more lighting than you are considering. But...that lighting set-up you are considering is good enough to build a very nice reef. You'd be able to keep a very nice assortment of corals. I have a nephew that just bought the same fixture...CSL's 4x65 watt 48" moomlight fixture. Its sweet...but SPS and clams...and any other light loving species would be a problem. I've been real happy with CSL lights....let us know if thats what you go with...and keep us updated on your progress.

enomadra

I have put a link to my post in the Equipment section of this site. I have a 48" wide 55 Gallon and have experimented with PC and VHO lighting. In my post is a link to my site which has pictures of my tank and corals using 330 watts of PC. If you keep following the links you will see the second set of pictues were I am using VHO style lights (except they are only 30watt each light) and how the coarls look with them. Hope this helps you out. I know switching to the 120 watts with 4 light has saved me lots of $$$$ on the power bill and my corals are still doing great.
Anyway here is the link and if you want anymore infor feel free to email me.
Link to my post :)

hirock

"Black powder coated metal hoods"
I hope that your talking about the "outside" of the reflector, not the inside. The color Black will absorb light/heat, not beneficial when trying to illuminate your system. Refraction from a reflector is crucial when trying to emit as many light photons back into your system. IMHO, a polished aluminum or stainless steel parabolic reflector will refract more usuable light back into the system.

fishman830

sry for steering the topic away, but HIrock.. do you sell on ----?? (baserock) and if so may i have your email?

No the refector is not a powder coat black.
i took a post off a web site and thats what they had.
the color of the houseinjg itself is black powde coat.
-kingofninx-:hilarious
^^^^ Not To Affend You I Just Like The Smiley

drakken

Originally posted by king of ninx
Any One ?

I got the CSL 260 watt PC with Moonlites a few weeks ago. I love this light. So far my hammer has opened more and is doing great. I just added some zoos that seem to be doing well too. I found it online for $239.
Here's a pic.