Lighting for a 55g? New to the hobby.

crmaykish

I am fairly new to the hobby and I have a 55g reef tank. I would like to eventually get some nice corals and maybe an electric scallop. What exactly do I need as far as lighting? My tank is 48" long and currently has two 50/50 bulbs on it. I have heard Metal Halide, T-5, PC fixtures and moonlights. I don't really know the difference. If you could give me some options along with the limitations that would be awesome. I don't want to spend alot but I want to get what I need the first time.
Thanks,
Colin

scsinet

Okay well what lighting system you research and ultimately select is largely dependant on what type of corals you want to keep. Flame scallops are not dependant on light for survival so you don't need to worry about them. They have a very low surival rate, so as far as lighting is concerned, they are equal-opportunity-diers.

Moonlights are used to allow the aquarist to view the animals at night. This can be a really neat thing... it's often said that reef tanks are even more interesting at night because of all the neat things that come out... but they have a marginal, if any, benefit to the animals. They are an accessory or option on lighting systems that should be secondary to your actual selection.
The 3 systems you mentioned... T5, Halide (MH), or Power Compact (PC):
PC is an older fluorescent technology. It's advantages are that it's inexpensive and the bulbs are readily available. It's main disadvantage is that if you want to keep very light hungry livestock, such as stony corals, giant clams, or anemones, you usually can't fit enough bulbs over the top of the tank to adequately light it. It's a great beginner technology and will allow you to keep everything except what I listed above.
MH is the Cadillac of sorts. It's advantages are that it's incredibly intense, so it penetrates into deep tanks (it's really the only option for tanks deeper than 18"), it's the most efficient lighting currently available, and it will allow you to keep anything you want. It's disadvantages are that they run very hot, sometimes requiring the tank they are lighting to have a chiller, and it's very expensive. It's pinpoint source also gives you the shimmer effect, which some people like and some don't. I have halide on my reef systems and enjoy the shimmer.
T5 is a new player out there that has many of the advantages of halide, but is not quite as intense. Generally, with a normal shape aquarium, you can keep whatever you want under these also (though I still debate those who say stony corals will do well under them). They are priced near halides, but not quite as expensive, and don't have the heat problems. The biggest disadvantage is that they are not fully penetrated into the market yet, so finding bulbs and such is sometimes difficult, especially if you accidentally break one and are in a hurry to get a replacement locally (so keep a spare bulb or two on hand). The only other disadvantage is that because it's a fluorescent technology, you need a large area for the bulbs, so you don't have pendant options for them.
hope this helps...

crmaykish

I appreciate the lengthy reply. Very helpful. It seems T-5's are the way to go for me. Can you recommend a certain configuration? I know there are different types of bulbs with different light and temperatures. I have seen the sets which stand a few inches above the tank and have 4 48" bulbs. Would that be sufficient?
Also, if I go with T-5's, about how much am I going to need to spend to get what I need?
Thanks again.

scsinet

Yes, 48" is the way to go it T5 is your game. This will be a (4) x 54w HO configuration, yielding 216 watts, which is enough to keep most things, but not all. I wouldn't try keeping some of the really light-needy giant clams or stonies, but anything else should be fair game.
I'd use (2 or 3) 10K bulbs and (1 or 2) Actinic 03 bulbs. Make sure they are genuine Actinic, as there are many imitators out there. The actinic bulbs will make your coral colors explode.
I'm not sure on how much a good T5 fixture costs... I've never purchased one myself.

scsinet

The only T5 actinic at 48" I know of is made by Giesemann. They will be heavily marketed as "Pure Actinic" because they are supposed to be the only ones who can claim that.

mister entropy

Thanks for the info in this thread. Good, clear language that's easy to understand.
I bought before doing enough research (can you ever do enough?) and am stuck with a set of power compact lights for now. I've got two 65W 10Ks and two 65W UltraActinic, along with moon lights. It's a 60gal, about 17.5in high and 48in long.
Oh well, I'll need at least six months to get the tank ready for anemones anyway, maybe by then I'll have the coin for metal halides or T5s. But before then, I should ask if my tank it too shallow for those bulbs? Will water temperature be an issue?