lighting for a 65g????

ukcats

OK, here's the deal. I currently have a FOWLR tank. I have 2 actinic bulbs 18" 15 watt each and two 20k 15 watt bulbs. Thats a total of 60 watts for the tank. What kind and watt lighting would I need to get some coral? Mostly easy ones like shrooms. I was looking on ---- and I can get 192 watts of pc lighting for $147.50. My LFS sells the same thing for $250. I would like to here some opinions. Is 192 watts enough? Thanks.

mep

look at all possible future corals. save the 150 and get light(s) with no restrictions on corals
i to started out with pc but now i moved to mh

S

spsaddict

my 65 gal is gunna have (4) 55w pcs, (2) 175w mh, and (1) 400 w mh

ukcats

Would I find myself in a year saying..."why didn't I get more lighting"? If I go with MH should I get the 250? If I do will I need a "chiller" to control the heat? Also, how much would a chiller cost. My wife already hates the cost of my tank...but that ain't a bad thing!

ukcats

If I want 5 watts per gallon..doesn't that mean that I only need about 300 watt lighting? Would that limit the coral I could get?
SPS...am I correct in saying that you want over 1000 watts of lighting in your 65 gallon tank???
I am still pretty new but that seems like overkill...not to mention a power drain...lol.:notsure:

h2ocreator

You need at least 5-6 wats per gallon. That is if you want to be serious! You are looking at around 390 watts. You would deffinatly make a mistake if you didn't go all the way the first time!
Becouse then you would be wanting more different kinds of coral.

ukcats

Well, with the 175 MH plus the 2-75 watt vho's that would be 325 watts or 5 watts per gallon. Right? Is that enough to accomadate most corals? I need to get this right the first time, my wife already told me NO...lol. Also, I want to purchase a canopy for it, does the light fixture just hang inside of the canopy or is there supposed to be a glass shield? And would I need a chiller, if so how much are they? Thanks again.

D

daniel411

What are the dimensions of your 65g tank?
For even light coverage, you "usually need 1 metal halide for every 2' of tank length. A common combination for 4' long tanks are 2- 150/175 metal halides with 2 atinic supplemental vho or pcs.
Watts per gallon is really just a loose catch all. Its not an acurate way of determining lighting needs. Tank depth, area, etc. are what really matters.

S

spsaddict

my 65? it is 36x18x24
and yes i will have over 1000 w of light over it... IMO i wouldnt do the 175s... get a dual 250w mh with dual vho for actinic suplementaion

S

spsaddict

Originally posted by UKCATS
Also, I want to purchase a canopy for it, does the light fixture just hang inside of the canopy or is there supposed to be a glass shield? And would I need a chiller, if so how much are they? Thanks again.

no glass canpy over the tank, that will inhibit light penetration.....
put a few fans in that hood and you should be fine.. i will have 4 fans over the 65. with a sump in a nice cool place :)

ukcats

The tank length is 36". I don't have a sump at the moment. So would I need a chiller. The tank is located in the basement and it never gets hot down there. If I would need a chiller how much are they?

ukcats

SPS if I would get that amount of lights that would be about $800-900 for just the lighting. Is there a less expensive place to get them. I have checked on ----. The cheapest I've found is about $400 shipped per unit. And thats for the 175's with dual vho's.