Lighting for a 65g?

karavak

When I get overwhelmed with info.. I ask questions
I have a 65g that I want to upgrade the lighting on so I can house a BTA and/or other types of anemones, Zoa's, mushrooms and possible LPS at some point. I know I know.. It's an addiction and I'm sure I'll want it all at some point

There seems to be a general rule of More light is better but I want to know if the $300-$500 234 watt light set-ups are the only way I can go for what I want or if something like the Nova Extreme 156 watt would meet the requirements?
also, what is a good way of defining Low, Medium, High lighting? I'm pretty sure Low lighting means more than the two 30watt power-glo's (I have two single lamp fixtures. They were free
) sitting over the tank right now.
Thanks!

gatorwpb

for you, probably a 4 bulb t-5 fixture with individual reflectors would be the best option and still be good for anemones. Without the individual reflectors it likely would not be enough for the anemone, but would be enough for the other corals you want.
A 6-bulb t-5 fixture would be even better, but not necessary for your desired corals. just make sure they are individual reflectors, because other wise its not an efficient use of the t-5 bulbs.
I have a 2x150w MH sunpod over my 65g because I have lots of sps. In a perfect world, I would have gone with a 2x250w with t-5 supplement fixture, but I dont feel like spending more money on lights because I will be upgrading sometime in the near future.
Still, I would recommend getting the best you can because in the future (even several years down the line) you might wish you had stronger lights, but you can upgrade then if you so desire.

cveverly

In my opinion you will need a good 6 or 8 lamp fixture with individual reflectors to keep your anemone happy. You will also need quality bulbs. Your 65 gallon tank is pretty deep if it is like mine. It takes a lot of light to push that deep in the tank. Anemones like to go where they want and not where you want them. You need to supply a lot of light at the bottom of the tank if that is where the anemone decides to live.
The good thing is you can grow most any coral you want. The bad is the cost of a quality fixture.
Another option is metal halide lighting. Maybe a 250x2 fixture with Phoenix or Radium bulbs.
If you don't have the anemone and just want softies and some LPS then something like the Nova Extreme Pro would do the job. However, we always want to go to the next level and end up needing more light, better skimmer or the latest new gizmo.

rotarymagic

My recommendation is gonna be the Current USA Nova Extreme Pro...
It's gonna use less electricity than MHs, produce comparable light, produce less heat therefore reducing the need for something like a chiller. You can also customize your bulb selection to fine tune the display of color that you want in your aquarium.

cveverly

I agree with what Rotarymagic has to say but have a different twist.
I run a 150 watt metal halide over a 29 gallon tank and the tank only raises 2 degrees all day. I do not have a canopy so the heat does escape very easy.
I have the Nova Extreme Pro 36" six bulb on a 46 gallon SPS tank. I could not get the SPS to hold their nice colors. I setup the 29 gallon using water and LR from the 46. I went from the Extreme Pro to a Giesemann 150 watt double ended halide. My colors are returning and I am seeing more rapid growth. To be fair my Extreme Pro is about 6 months old and has the stock bulbs. Replacing the bulbs with a better quality may have helped.
Moral of the story? I am not sure there is one. Other than I do not have a heat issue and my corals are happier.
I was one that really promoted the T5 lighting but now I am not so sure. I guess it is all about the quality of light along with the quantity.

rotarymagic

how close was either fixture to the surface of the water?
I run a 150w MH on my 20long (9inches above the surface) and a 150w MH over my 15gallon (9inches above the surface.)
I don't think the stock current USA 10,000k bulbs produce as much PAR as some good aftermarket 10,000k's...
I do know that the giesemann megachrome coral I have on the 20long has some ridiculous PAR lol... even zoas in the "shadows" aren't reaching...

cveverly

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2864829
how close was either fixture to the surface of the water?
Both are about 6" off the water. I run them as low as I can without getting much spray.
Originally Posted by Rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2864829
I don't think the stock current USA 10,000k bulbs produce as much PAR as some good aftermarket 10,000k's...
I totally agree. With better bulbs I may have had a better experience. Having said that I still like the light but it is going on a fish only tank and I may only run half the fixture.

wangotango

Like mentioned, if you do go with the Nova PRO ditch the bulbs that come with it and buy ATI, UVL, or Giesemann.
-Justin

karavak

Ok, well the Nova pro is on the wish list but I wanted to double check. Thanks everyone for the info.