Lighting for LR

smokin'jim

I'm buying 100lbs lr next weekend from a indiviaul... tank and all, putting in alot bigger tank when i get home. What do i need for lighting so the rock will do well i have 125g tank with 48" twin tube with refectors, bulbs are 40 watts each preheat aquarium. will these do?? even if i put diff. color bulbs in ????????? Thanks for all everyones help....... :)

jackdp

Your current NO lighting will be fine, you won't see amazing growth of coralline, but it won't hurt the rock or most inverts that may come with it...especially if you're planning an upgrade...I kept mine under regular old NO lights for 4 mos. before going PC.

THE BEEST THING IS TO ALWAYS PUT A TIMER ON YOUR LIGHTING FROM 8 TO 12hrs. WHAT EVER BEST FITS YOUR TIMING DESIRES, BUT IT HAS TO BE FROM 8 TO 12hrs. OK. YOU WILL NOTICE A LOT OF CRITTERS START TO TRIVE WITH THE TIMMER LIGHTING... LATER WHEN U UPGRADE YOUR LIGHTING. THINGS WILL GET EVEN MORE INTERESTING :cool: I UP GRADED TO PC 65w BY 4 AND IT'S GOT EVEN BETTER TOTAL OF 260w... AND NOW I WISH I SHOULD OF INVESTED IN A LITTLE MORE ON LIGHTING SO THINK ABOUT IT IS WORTH THE RIGHT LIGHTING IT PAYS OFF MENTALLY!!!

PC STANDS FOR POWER COMPACTS LIGHTS THEY ARE LIKE A (THIN TUBULAR FLOURECENT LIGHT) THAT GIVE OUT A LITTLE MORE WATTAGE THAN REGULAR FLOURECESING LIGHTS...OK VHO ARE AN UP GRADE TO PC, LOOK MUCH MORE LIKE REGULAR FLOURECENT TUBES BUT MORE HANDLING POWER THAT PC'S...
METAL HALIDES ARE THE EXTREME BIG BULBS LIKE THE ONES THAT ILLUMINATE THE STREET POST 175w, 250w, EXC... WHAT EVER FITS YOUR NEED ON THAT... THREE KINDS OF LIGHTING...
NOW THAT I UNDERSTAND A LITTLE BIT MORE OF LIGHTIN I WISH I SHOULD OF INVESTED ON MH LIGHTING IS ALMOST LIKE SUN LIGHT THATS THE GOAL....

liv rock food will help u out the best as far as lights go a good set up would be 2 96 watt pc.s 10k and 2 vho.s o3 atinic than u can put almost eny thing in there u want and u would be looking at 280 wats of vho and 192 watts of pc.s

smokin'jim

Has anyone seen lighting on e-bay ? I can't find or put the right search to see anything........anyone....thanks :(

Has anyone seen lighting on e-bay ?
Go to home then pet supplies then fish, most of the lights are listed under "other" They have a great selection of PC's and MH'S
I just picked up a JBJ PC fixture off of ---- last week!

smokin'jim

Just came back from e-bay i found a 72" reflector with triple 400 watt M.H. bulbs would this work with my 6' long tank with hinged glass on the top of tank ?????and wat else would i nee for lighting 20" deep tank??? Thanks:)