Lighting for Mushroom Polyps

jerryatrick

I am interested in purchasing some mushroom polyps for my new tank. The tank has been running for 5 weeks now.
44 Gallon Hex (24 in Deep)
3 Powerheads (1100 GPH)
40 Pounds of LR
20 Pounds of LS
Pygmy Angel
3 Turbo Snails
10 Hermits
I found a light fixture online for $110.
ESU 20" Aqualight (Salt)4-96W Sq Pin (Quad). Includes: one 96 watt 50/50 square pin 4-tube (quad-4 bulbs attached at one end) compact bulb, two cooling fans, a protective lens which allows easy access to the lamp.
Would this light be sufficient for mushroom polyps?

teresaq

You might be ok with shrooms towards the top. its a deep tank and only 2 wtts per gal.
your tank is only 20 inch wide?? You might take a look in the classifieds here, I remember someone had a clip on MH fixture for sale that would work good for your tank and you could keep more them shrooms.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2613750
You might be ok with shrooms towards the top. its a deep tank and only 2 wtts per gal.
your tank is only 20 inch wide?? You might take a look in the classifieds here, I remember someone had a clip on MH fixture for sale that would work good for your tank and you could keep more them shrooms.
Thanks for the response. The only problem with MH is that I might have to purchase a chiller. Just one more piece of equipment on an already equipment packed tank. I have 3 power heads, protein skimmer, heater, HOB filter, and internal moon lighting. I don't plan on going reef for another year if at all possible.
I see your point though. I need to be at least 3 watts per gallon in order to keep any form of coral. I will keep searching for lighting at a good price.

siline

Originally Posted by JerryAtrick
http:///forum/post/2613783
The only problem with MH is that I might have to purchase a chiller. Just one more piece of equipment on an already equipment packed tank. I have 3 power heads, protein skimmer, heater, HOB filter, and internal moon lighting. I don't plan on going reef for another year if at all possible.
While here its difficult to keep water "cold" for you its the opposite.
MH's Might solve you that problem, best said, you can (try) to get rid of the heater... so WHY THE CHILLER???
If your problem is "water too cold" so you have to use a heater, you should try MH's then... that way you might "solve" 2 problems at once...
In your case, I dont think it twice.
In my case, Im installing two 250w MH's on a 72 gal that has a 1/3hp chiller, and even with that, in this f^7k1ng HOT weather, its very difficult to keep water "cold"...