Lighting for my canopy. Please help.

dutch06

I have 48x24x24 120g tank.
I'm going to build a canopy and get rid of the 150s I have now.
I have no idea of everything I need, what brands, etc. that I should get.
I know I want 2x250s. Should I supplement with T5's? Atenics? Electrical components I need? Ballasts? Bulbs?
I have a budget of about $1000 not including the wood/labor. Lighting only, $1000ish (maybe a little more). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will research all suggestions. Thank you.

dragonzim

I think the 2 250s will be enough regular light. You may want to add a pair of T5 retrofits in individual reflectors for actinics though. These will help your corals colors pop.

dutch06

Do you have any suggestions for name brands? If I buy a retro kit will it include all electrical components that I need? Wiring, ballasts, etc?
Do the T5's replace the need for atenics? I guess what I'm asking is are T5s atenics?
Thanks for your response.

dragonzim

Take a look at the brand TEK for T5 retrofits. Very high quality lights. I have one of their full fixtures on my tank. A retro kit should include the ballast, end caps and reflectors. Make sure that if you go with T5s you get a setup that has an individual reflector for each bulb.
You can get many different bulb colors in T5 lights, including actinics. ATI and Geismann are excellent bulb brands