Lighting For Reef?

nycbob

the k rating wouldnt be good for reef, since its going to be very yellow. as for par, i really dont know how good those bulbs r.

robertmathern

Yep I agree that k rating will not only grow nothing but brown corals but it will also look like crap over your tank.

daftboy

If I recall isn't sun 4200k.. never really understood that.... its not like the sun has dif. K ratings where you go... maybe UV ratings but not its actual colour

saltn00b

If i am not mistaken that K rating is good for growth, but color of the tank and the corals will look to reddish brown.

robertmathern

Originally Posted by Daftboy
http:///forum/post/3277037
If I recall isn't sun 4200k.. never really understood that.... its not like the sun has dif. K ratings where you go... maybe UV ratings but not its actual colour
Yes you are right sun is 4700k I think or maybe 4200K. But that is above the waters surface. Go 10-20 feet down and tell me the sun is 4200 down there. Its the color sepctrum for water down there that make the difference . Also just so people dont try to slam me here there are reefs closer to the surface than that but most are brown or have learned to adapt over the years. Puls who wants to look at yellow water in there tank. We pay all that money to set these up at least make it what you want it to look like at the end of the day. If you got the mh light setups why skimp on bulbs there pretty much the cheapest part of the whole setup. One last thing I know of a place that close to the same price for good bulbs.