lighting??? have coral life

S

shibby

Hello,
I have problems with my lighting. The coralife doesn't seem like enough light. The light is two 65 watt 50/50 power compact florescent bulbs by coral life also 10.000k antinitc. i have a 29 agl tank. My candy cane coral looks fine but, I have had a star polyp in the past and died on me and my frog spawn had the same fate. Is an upgrade necessary for hard or soft coral or do have nothing to worry about. The reason for the corals dying would be a different problem? Thanks for your time
shibby

oceana

I had the exact size tank and the same light for about 8 months and even the same corals all with no problem matter a fact the frogspawn grew from 2 head to 5 .
It is a bit on the lower side for lighting but still enough for most softies and some LPS
I think the problem lies elsewhere

S

shibby

oceana,
How long do have your lights on for? I have mine on for 12hours with the two bulbs only on together for 6 hours of the day. Should I change the timing?

oceana

i ran mine actinic on at 7am then at 9am eh 10000k came on then at 7pm the 1000ok went off and then at 9pm the actinic went off.
i no longer have this set up but when i did that was the times

ophiura

There are several things involved in keeping coral, so you may also want to start with background on the tank and specific water parameters (esp alk, calcium) and things you are dosing.

peter78

I have that same setup as well and had a star polyp and it died on me. Has anyone tried to put an other 65w pc strip in their tank? I would like a little more light power and I am thinking that an extra 65w would be enough. It seems that all my corals except for my mushrooms are at the top and nothing can be at he bottom. I dont want to spend the money for metal H. or VHO's on my 29g. I figured that I would save that for when I get a bigger tank. Any thoughts? :happyfish

oceana

There was a time we have two of the dual-65 units on our tank when we had the 29. We took apart the lights and pulled out the reflector,ballast,bulbs. then installed them into the hood.

peter78

Oceana
was it too much heat for the tank and was it enough light for those corals that need more light? What did you have in your tank with the 4 65w.

oceana

no my tank was always at 82. that a bit warmer then some keep there tanks but i have always set my tanks for 82 with no problems.
for corals i had shrooms,a few leathers, zoos,frogspawn,ricordia. that about it. i ended up getting a bigger tank very soon after so i never got to really stock the tank