Lighting help with 48" FOWLR

yogoshio

So, I know that this should be simple, but I have switched from coral to FOWLR and am up-sizing my tank from a 20 to 50 gallon, and the T5 actinic I have now still really makes the tank pop the right way. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I could keep the actinic style lighting without breaking the bank. (my aunt is giving me the 50 gallon) it's a 48" tank. It's the old school narrow, deep, and long design. So, any suggestions?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogoshio http:///t/388277/lighting-help-with-48-fowlr#post_3423266
So, I know that this should be simple, but I have switched from coral to FOWLR and am up-sizing my tank from a 20 to 50 gallon, and the T5 actinic I have now still really makes the tank pop the right way. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I could keep the actinic style lighting without breaking the bank. (my aunt is giving me the 50 gallon) it's a 48" tank. It's the old school narrow, deep, and long design. So, any suggestions?
Best bargain I have found is the T5HO linkable unit, for a 48" it will cost $130.00 Has an actinic and a 10K bulb, and should you decide to upgrade later. You only purchase another unit to get double the power of light...linkable up to 3 units and you could keep an anemone under those lights.
Just google linkable units. I have one over my seahorse/reef tank and it is awesome.

yogoshio

Um, not sure actually. I bought it so long ago and the replacement bulb came with it so I don't know for sure. I understand these things aren't cheap no matter what I get.

btldreef

T5 bulbs aren't terrible to replace, and for a FOWLR, you're easily going to get a year out of them. Are you not wanting any daylight bulbs? All actinics?
The 420nm does make colors pop more. It has more of a purple hue to it than a 460nm which is the traditional "blue" actinic bulb. You also might want to try some other tints of blue/red/purple sometimes referred to as "reef wave" or "coral wave" or "figi blue" and "figi purple" to get some good colors on your fish to pop.

mr. limpid

Just to give you a different option I use 48" 2 bulb T8 shop light from Menard's with sunlight 7600K bulbs and paid $10.00 for fixture and $6.75 for 2 bulbs. I have FOWLR 135gal. have had the fixture for a year coralline algae is growing fine. Lighting look good for fish only.

yogoshio

The problem isn't the bulb itself, its that the size light is changing from 24 to 48 inches. I'm not familiar with this size equipment. And I am looking for a duo--bright white and actinic, or at least something close to what I have now for my 20 gallon.

yogoshio

Thanks all for the advice, but I just figured out what my equipment is and that the size I'd need is only $90 for a coralife dual t5 set, and I'll add my 28" one to that. Thanks all for the help!