lighting in 55 gal

skooby

I just recently purchased a 4' twin bulb fixture. I bought a 40 watt 20,000k , and a 40 watt 420 atinic, I also have two 15 watt 50/50 coral life bulbs. Is this good lighting, or is there another solution with the fixtures I have. I have alot of soft corals. Hairy mushrooms, leather coral, spotted blue mushrooms, fourescent mushrooms, bubble coral, red mushrooms, also maidens hair, and halamide plant.Also some fish, and feather dusters, and chocolate chip star, manderine goby. Any ideas if I am on the right path, or am I off.

benj420

One solution for your tank would be to get an IceCap 660 and you could run four NO (Normal Output) bulbs, or four VHO bulbs, or any combination of NO and VHO bulbs. You could start with four NO's and then change them to VHO over time. The NO's would be fine for what you have now, and if you want to get some light loving corals or clams, you would want to ease into VHO's. It would cost you about $350 for all eight bulbs and the ballast kit with ends and harness. That's what I got for my 55.
As far as stars, a rough rule of thumb is one that has a smooth back, not bumpy like a chocolate or red general.

slick

With the corals you have you should be ok. However if you plan on adding any other corals that might require more light you will want to add some other type of lighting.

chinnyr

Hey Java!I just talked with my friend who set me up with my first corals last year.I asked his advise for upgrading my lights.I noticed your light setup,and mine is going to be similar.I'm buying the icecap 660,2 white actinics and 2 actinics(48") for my setup.He seems to think it will be ok to put some small plexiglass pieces on each end of the tank and just lay the bulbs on top of the tank.How do you have your lights in place?My corals will definatly benifit from the added lights!Thanks in advance for any help!

javajoe

here is my light hood closed - its a diy...

here it is open...

and here is my old light "hood" 2 bulbs each in 2 vinyl gutters-- upsidedown :) my diy stand as well...

chinnyr

JavaJoe!thanks for the pics!It gives me a good idea on what to construct for my diy canopy.I will try to put up some pics when I'm done.I have 10 days off from work starting this thursday.