Lighting increasing tank temp

jonebease

I have a FO 30 gal currently cycling. Over the past couple days I have noticed that the water temperature in the tank increases by as much as 4 degrees when the light is on.(tank is not by a vent, it doesn't receive any direct sunlight, and the heater is working fine)I am currently using a 110 watt 36inch high output compact fluoresent strip-lite for my 30 gallon tank. Is this too much for a FO tank?? My LFS said I needed this for a FO tank, should I return it and get something less powerful??
thanks,
jonebease

q

Is the top of the tank sealed?
Is there a fan?
How far away is the bulb from the water?

jonebease

I have a all glass hood with opening in the back for filter, skimmer, powerheads, and heater.
I don't have a fan and the stip-lite sits directly on the glass hood.
The strip-lite is new from AGA
It includes two 9375 kelvin high output compact flouresent lamps each 55 watts.

reeflooker

Four degrees does not sound unreasonable. Try a muffin fan. If its a fish only tank, try a 30 watt NO rather than 110 watt PC.

What is the temp with the light on? if it does get to warm over 84-85 then you might have to either lift the lights off the glass a couple of inches or add a fan or two. I know this sounds warm but I run four different setups and our reef goes as high as 86 with no problems. fixit :)

jonebease

So your saying it is OK if my tank temp flucuates up and down daily as long as it is not too fast??
Thanks for the responses

q

Temp flux is ok if gradual. I run 79-82.5
If you add a fan it will help a fair bit I believe.

The temp flux is actually more like it would be in the wild. As the sun goes up the temp of the water goes up. You wont create ick if its not in youre tank allready. you might get some stress spots from drastic changes if things happen to quickly....fixit :)