lighting issues -.-

zanoshanox

Ok guys, heres my problem. My first SW tank, 38 G, 18 inches in length. How do i light that? I want to support higher light requirement inverts, but i cant find anything to get me 4+ WPG on my 38. Its a cube.. i can prolly get a pic if that would help...(dont know why it would). Im just looking for a solution, thanks guys. lol

treystang

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
Ok guys, heres my problem. My first SW tank, 38 G, 18 inches in length. How do i light that? I want to support higher light requirement inverts, but i cant find anything to get me 4+ WPG on my 38. Its a cube.. i can prolly get a pic if that would help...(dont know why it would). Im just looking for a solution, thanks guys. lol
ditch the wpg talk. It is unnessacary these days. I had a hex tank that had 17 or 18 inches and it was a pain to find a lighting setup. Your almost only choice is to go with a metal halide pendant setup.
I think coralife makes a pendant that has an arm that will clip to the tank and you can then angle it in any direction you want. That is about the only way you can make it work.

zanoshanox

thanks for the info man, i checked some stuff out on the internet just to get a rough idea of the price, and im sure you all are used to it, but its not cheap. lol. how much do these things usually run? Im just a teenager so im not stacked with cash, but i would like to invest in some quality lighting for my reef. Below is a link so one that i found that i like for a almost-reasonable price. tell me if that seems like a good deal or if theres somewhere else i should be looking...thanks a bunch!
Link not allowed

(i would be the 250W)

reefnut

The link you posted isn't allowed because it is to a competitor's site but that fixture would work great!! How deep is the tank?? The 150w would also work just fine unless you have a deep tank...
BTW, don't get lost in WPGs... even though the 150w MH is only 3.9wpg that doesn't mean you would have low lighting.

zanoshanox

ok, thanks guys. Its a perfect cube, 18 inches in all dimensions. I forgot about the link thing, but i think u guys got the point...

treystang

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
ok, thanks guys. Its a perfect cube, 18 inches in all dimensions. I forgot about the link thing, but i think u guys got the point...
I think a single 250 (150 or 175 would probably work as well) should be plenty for your cube. However, I would research at some fish stores or find someone who has a setup similair to determine what bulb you need. When going with one halide the tank may be yellowish depending on the bulb you get i.e. 7500, 10k 14k 20k etc.
I don't use MH lighting so I can't be much help there.