Lighting on corals for a 10 g

cwazy clow

i have a 10g and i was wondering if a coralife 28watt was enough for a 10g and i plan to have like some leathers, plops, just the cheapist ---- i can find...im on a really tight budget and i was wonding what you guys thing?? i herd that 3 wat/gallon was bare minimum and need feedback! if you think that is to low, link my to some stuff thats enough but i cant spend more then 80 on lighting thanks also i was thinking of the 24inch corallife 65 watt one and i was thinking can i mount a 24 on a 20 with the legs that you buy for coral life fixtures? :joy:

24aqua

well if your on a tight budget i would reconsider on saltwater,to me it seems like you never stop spending money on this hobby and i would go with the 65watt and the legs should also have a slide and the legs can adjust

roushracer

Yes, the coralife will adjust down to 20". I know as I have this fixture.
Also, I would go with the 130w dual PC fixture. Even on a 10 gal the 65w single is a lil dim.

sdwarrior

I have a current dual fix 80w 20" orbit system it is probably the best buy I made for my 10 gal nano, I will take some pix for ya so you can look at it and get some ideas.

cwazy clow

ahh, yea thanks, now i will prob get the 65 with the 24 and have a lil over hang..(plus if i upgrade to a 20 i can still use it =D...just waaaay dimmer..haha)
yea great feed back.......i was considerin the orbit but they start around 130$...a lil pricy.

chipmaker

You can get a corallife 96 watt quad PC for about $80-90 if you look around, and a 96 watt is superb on a 10 gal.

cwazy clow

yea true but most of thoes deals are online with a 10 dollar or so shipping but my lfs has the 65 corallife for only 60$ =O great deal and i like to buy local and the 90wat is the same price as the 80watt orbit..
yea..kinda sucks

howard947

A word of caution...the more light, the more heat. If you put 6 or more watts per gallon, expect the water temperature to rise. A chiller costs a fortune