lighting over five

gesswhosbak

Ok in my last post i stated that my five gallon has finished cycling. I am now ready to start adding items to it. First, i wanted to ask yall about lighting. I want to keep most softies. What kind of lights would you recommend for this? Also what are some good hearty corals to start out with? Of course i wanted to check with yall before making a purchase like this. I still have to buid that canopy though.:rolleyes:
Thanks

r@ise

over my 5.5, i have 2x28w PCs.
Its quite sufficient for softies and some SPS. Ive had success with everything Ive tried to keep so far :)
Easy corals: Leathers, mushrooms, zoanthids, Green star polyps.....

bdhough

PC's would be best for your tank. Try 2x13 pc's or one 28 or two. All kind of depends on your money situation. Keep in mind running lights like that over such a small tank leads to serious heat problems.

gesswhosbak

R@ise, can u post a pic of your canopy and/or the wiring diagram u used to wire up the fan, I am unsure how to do this. Thanks a million.

aarone

Its quite sufficient for softies and some SPS. Ive had success with everything Ive tried to keep so far
which sps would those be?

spsfreak100

Most SPS (with the exception of deep water scleractinians, which are generally difficult to come by) won't thrive with only 2x28wt PC's. Some species of Hydnophora and Montipora may live, but, they would most likely do much better under halides. I'm interested, if possible, in seeing a picture of your SPS corals that you're housing.
Graham :)

r@ise

Currently I have 3 digitatas, a hydnophora and a bali slimer. All of which Ive added since my last photo session:eek: . Although the corals are healthy and growing, they would OF COURSE be happier under higher wattage setups.
The montis are growing like mad, and the slimer is showing lots of growth aswell. The hydno is growing the slowest.
SPS, aarone: I appreciate your sceptisism (sp?), and will gladly oblige with pics. Sorry for the delay in my response, this board I check the least. Ill get pics soon, and i'll try to get one of my dads mega zoom lenses so I can show you exactly the growth ive encountered in the short time I've had them. Thanks
Ray

r@ise

Originally posted by gesswhosbak
R@ise, can u post a pic of your canopy and/or the wiring diagram u used to wire up the fan, I am unsure how to do this. Thanks a million.

The fan is REAL easy. You will first need an appliance that you no longer use, cut the transformer off the end of its cord, leaving a little wire to work with.....
Then you take the fan, and splice each of its wires to the wires of the transformer.....it doesnt matter which to which. Plug it in and there ya go....
Im no electrician but it really is that easy. If you need more detailed instructions email me@ RWoodin@cfl.rr.com
Ray

r@ise

Sorry its taken SOO LONG. I can become quite de-motivated at times, thus causing expansive amounts of time to pass without any progress. Anyhooo :)
#1- Unidentified SPS from FL Keys
Date is show on pic.

#2- Same coral, 4 months later.

Two days before I took the pic, I moved the coral. I switched its location to that of teh hydno and vice versa. I think it liked the other place better, it was right in the flow of the HOB and I think it liked the direct flow and maybe more nutrients.
All this with 2x28w PCs, and by the end of the month there will be a little 70w Halide on the little slut :)
I also have montis that Id like to get pics of, but I need a better camera/lens....

bdhough

Not bad. Whats the inches of growth you are getting though? Thats the measure. :) I too am growing sps under pc's and am getting a little over an inch a month in growth..... Wish i had a camera to better document things with :( BTW i've got mine about six inches from 2x65 watts.
EDIT: oh and if you wouldn't mind giving me cost and where you got the 70 halide from i'd appreciate it bdhough@unity.ncsu.edu Just title it 70 halide. THANKS.

r@ise

ooops. I didnt realise that last post went through and I went and made a new thread.
I havent gotten nearly an inch a month. Maybe 1/4" +
Ill shoot you an email about the 70w'er now.
Ray

bdhough

You'll get much more growth once you get that halide on them. I think you just aren't pushing enough light out on them with the dual 28s.