Lighting - Power Compacts vs. VHO?

rnk9394

Hope somebody can help
I'm in the process of deciding on equipment for my tank.
Can someone please clarify the difference between PC & VHO lighting? I thought I understood what I wanted for lighting and the more I read the more I got confused. Also I don't plan on having any hard corals and such so I know I don't need MH lighting. What type would you folks choose for lighting?
Thanks
Rick

goinballde

i have pc's and is very happy with them..From what I understand the vho's give a better full spectrum. That and pc's recently came out with 03 actinics...They look great on my tank..

tru conch

what size is your tank? this matters a little, but not much.
all in all i would go with the pcs. for the best bang of your dollar, the pcs are the best choice. the bulbs life is about 12-18 months, compared to the 9 months of a vho. they are cooler and do not use as much electricity either. and yes they are finally coming out with a true actinic bulb which will help with the color spectrum. also vhos need to be mounted into a canopy, whereas you can purchase pcs in a strip light casing.
with the pcs you will be able to keep pretty much anything BUT sps, clams, and the more demanding of the lps. all softies and the majority of the lps will be fine under pcs.
hth and good luck!