Lighting problem

di1969

Let me start at the beginning a little over a year ago I bought a light set up from Hamilton Technology. It came with two 175 watt 55k metal Halide bulbs and two four foot fluoresent blubs. The first problem I had with this light, is the fluoresents would burn our after a day or two. So they fixed that problem and then I kept having a problem where the two 175 watt bulbs would be two different colors. Si I lived with that for a while, a year pasted and I went to put new bulbs in it; I bought new 175 watt 100k bulbs and the colors matched for about a week and then one side lost the blue tint to the color of the light. So, I replaced one 100k bulb that was bad. I put the one good bulb into the opposite socket, so the good bulb worked in both sockets. Then I put the replacment bulb in and it didn't have the same blue tint as the orginial bulb. So basically what I am asking is why amI having such a problem of getting two bulbs to run at somewhat the same color in this system? Could this be why I have such a problem with the brown alge? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rlv695

well a little more info please...over what size tank is this?
sounds like eiter a bad ballest or wiring...mmmiight need more fans to let the heat out on the ends..if there are none// add them.
on plug for halids? or two? if two..try both on a diff outlet in the house on extension cord to see if that might help...just to see if theres two much power beind on one scoket...

mr . salty

I have heard that some MH ballasts need to be TUNED to match the bulb and K value.If this is possibly the case,and one ballast was out of adjustment, it would explain the problem. You would need to call the manufacturer about this.

di1969

Thanks RLV695&MR.SALTY..Well first I have a 90gl tank and has two fans one sucking in and the other blowing out...Plugs,Ihave two of them one for the fluor and the other one is for the halids..If it was a sockit or wiring wouldnt it be isolated to one side??? But when i switch the bulbs the good bulb works on both sides????As far as adjusting the ballast why would the 10k bulbs work for about a week before they didnt look the same.. By the way i scaped the 10k bulbs and went to 65k super bright bulbs..Iam lost i just cant figure out why i cant get two bulbs to match. :confused: ..Thanks for all the help guys!
[ April 22, 2001: Message edited by: DI1969 ]

di1969

One more thing, When I take the bulbs out and try them in someone else's set up , the bulbs are still two different colors. So on one hand you can say that I keep getting bad bulbs or something in my light set up is causing it to go bad.

rlv695

well if there two diff coloer then it must be either bad bulbs.... that either was shipped to you or your ballests made itturn that way... i would return them to store and thry them in in other peploes hood first to see what they look like,, then you can see if there ok for your hood...