Lighting Question Again???

75bownut

ok I am going to buy a metal halide set up for my tank, its a 72 gallon bow and has been up and running for just over a year, here is a pic of it, currently I have 4x65 watt pc lights, I was wondering If you were doing this up grade how many watts would you go with???? mogul or hqi???? pc secondary lights or T-5 ??? I want to be able to keep whatever kind of coral etc...., I know that I like the blueier lighting like the 14,000k or 20,000k , would you get some kind of combo etc . is hqi better or not ??? :help:

altoid

well if I were you I would purchase one 500 watt (very good) or mabye even two 500 watt metal halide(blue is nice but color doesn't affect anything.

thegrog

I think 500 is WAY too much for that tank.
If you want to keep SPS, anomones, or clams, then go with two 250w bulbs (HQI or mogul). If you want pretty much any other coral not previously mentioned, then two 175w mogul or 150w HQI would work just fine.
If you get 20,000K bulbs, there really is no need for suppelmental lighting. IF you do get a premade hood that has supplemental PC lighting, then you can go with a 10,000K or 12,000K bulb and use the PCs for actinics.
Personally, my 125 is running with 3 175W 20,000K pendants and looks great! Everything is thriving as well!

S

sand125

Originally Posted by 75bownut
ok I am going to buy a metal halide set up for my tank, its a 72 gallon bow and has been up and running for just over a year, here is a pic of it, currently I have 4x65 watt pc lights, I was wondering If you were doing this up grade how many watts would you go with???? mogul or hqi???? pc secondary lights or T-5 ??? I want to be able to keep whatever kind of coral etc...., I know that I like the blueier lighting like the 14,000k or 20,000k , would you get some kind of combo etc . is hqi better or not ??? :help:

i would go with this http://www.current-usa.com/sunpod.html

grumpygils

Originally Posted by sand125
i would go with this http://www.current-usa.com/sunpod.html

I just set up a 250 mogul MH with 4 X 75W VHOs on a 92 Corner and it looks awesome. All retro. I could sun bathe by it. I then went to R shack and got 2 fans and a fan dimmer and medium setting is silent and cools it off enough. Note: Fan must use a fan dimmer not light!
Mc

rknapp

I have a 90 gallon and recently changed from 4-96w pcs to 2-175w electronic ballast MH 10000k lamps and 2 96w actinic pcs. With this setup you'll get 7-8000 lumens at 4" below water, about 6500 lumens at 8, 4800 lumens at 12" and 4000 lumens at 16" at the center of the MH lamps and of course as you move out away from the lamp the lumens diminish. I keep my pcs on from 8am to 7pm, my first mh comes on at 10:30, the second at 11:30 and the first goes off at 4:eek:opm and second off at 5:00pm. Peak sunlight at the equator just below water is 7000 lumens! With this setup you can keep anything you want, just put high light loving animals in the top 12" and up and lower light below that. Certainly 250w MH would work, but in my opinion theres no need to spend the extra money. Don't forget you have to pay the electric bill too. To go to 250s would cost another $95.00/yr in electricity cost not to mention the fixtures and heat. You can go with 150w HQIs too. They give the same lumens as the 175w MH. High light animals require 7000-8000 lumens, medium 4000-5000, low 1500-2500 lumens. As you can see I've done some research before I purchased lights. By the way I built my own canopy and installed retros myself. IfAll bulbs should be in their own canopy with a highly polished reflector. By doing this you can increase the light to the tank by almost 250%! When all lamps are side by side they cannot reflect off the reflector but try to reflect off each other. In my opinion many people are spending alot more than they need to if the setup was right.
Sorry to be so long winded but there was alot to say and really that's condensed. Oh my lights are 10" off the water. If you use HQIs they need UV protection(comes with bought fixtures) but regular metal halids have it in the glass bulb enclosure.