Lighting question need everyones opinion

flatzboy

I have been asking a few questions on lighting setups over the past few weeks and I think I found the retro I gonna get. It has 2x65 watt pc actinic and a choice of either 2x175 mogul base metal halides, 2x250 watt mogul base metal halides, or 2x150 hqi de metal halides. I am gonna either get 2x250 watt metal halides or the 2x150 watt hqi halides. It will be for my 46g. bow front which is 36'' wide and about 16-17 inches tall from the sandbed to thee top of the waterline. I would like to keep any coral I want, so tell me what light setup I should go with. I will also have 2 fans blowing across the water. I have a 20g. reef and I maintain my parents 75g. reef for them so I'm not a newbie and now how to maintain a reef.

alison

I would go with the 2 times 150. with your pc's. Remember to get electronic balast, not magnetic, as magnetic are more costly, put out more heat, and are more maintenance I've heard. Check out ----, they are the best prices. You can get brand new ones there for the cheepest I've ever seen. Good luck-ali
Oh, and remember de bulbs are hella expensive! I would just go with regular kind of bulbs.-ali
:happyfish

C

caryn_ia

one of the two with the mogul base, and if you are able to control the heat...go with the 2x250-but that is really just personal preference for you to decide.

flatzboy

I am thinking about going withe the 150 watt de's because they don't use as much power, run cooler, and are just as intense as 250 watt. mogul base halides.
thanks

alison

:yes: Yep, I agree with ya flatzboy, and de's are awesome, but remember what I said about them bein pricy. Good luck, ali