Lighting Question ,,Please

surfer 2

Ok, here is the deal. I just purchased a 75g tank with 2 48" VHO (110 w ) and 2 36" VHO (95 w ). Tank is 18" wide,, 48" Long, and 22" tall.
Should I keep the VHO or put in some T - 5's or PC (260 w coralife combo) ?
I am not very informed on VHO lighting and how it performs. any advice would be appriciated. Oh by the way I got tank with built in overflow in corner with canapy, lights, 20g sump, 3 pumps and stand for under $300,,, Woot.
thanks for your words of wisdom as always..

db

You are better off with VHO than PC's. There are many people who really like T5's, but it's not much of an upgrade from what you have already. I personally think VHO puts out the best color of any of the lighting you are considering.

airforceb2

I agree. VHO is the best flourescent available IMO. Use them to supplement a MH bulb and you will have an awesome setup.

reefraff

VHO actinics are sweet but for PAR output VHO cant match the good T5 systems, at least not until Ice Cap releases the parabolic reflectors for VHO. I'd throw some super actinics on the 48" VHO's and swap out those 36" lamps for a couple of Sunlight Supply Tek T5 retrofits with Aquablue lamps. They are a very crisp white light that produce a ton of PAR.

blemmy_guy

Im a big Actinic VHO faN! I have a 70 gallon tank that is only VHO actinics. I also have a 125 gal. that is Metal Halide and Actinic. But the VHO's are great and you can have a lot of soft corals. Loke Mushrooms, colts, Bubble, frog spawns, torch and a few more. Do a search on my name and look up some of my photo threads and you can see what the VHO's are like. Goodluck
Todd

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Blemmy_Guy
Im a big Actinic VHO faN! I have a 70 gallon tank that is only VHO actinics. I also have a 125 gal. that is Metal Halide and Actinic. But the VHO's are great and you can have a lot of soft corals. Loke Mushrooms, colts, Bubble, frog spawns, torch and a few more. Do a search on my name and look up some of my photo threads and you can see what the VHO's are like. Goodluck
Todd
I'm glad to hear this. We're waiting for our lights to get here. 48" light kit with 110 w 2-VHO actinics, and 2-175 w Metal Halides. It should be here this coming week. All thanks for the inspiration of my little frag that I picked up when I bought my rocks this week. It was on my rock that I bought from someone locally. It's tiny right now, hopefully he'll be ok until the new light gets here. I think it's some sort of leather. There's also a clam attached to the same rock. Wish me luck! :happyfish

reefraff

Luck!
You really should make sure you know what the coral is before you get it but it sounds like a cool piece.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by reefraff
Luck!
You really should make sure you know what the coral is before you get it but it sounds like a cool piece.
I believe it's leather, he had a bigger one near by it with small ones on the same rock that looks just like this one. It's either leather or mushrooms cause that's all he's got in that tank. :happyfish

blemmy_guy

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
I'm glad to hear this. We're waiting for our lights to get here. 48" light kit with 110 w 2-VHO actinics, and 2-175 w Metal Halides. It should be here this coming week. All thanks for the inspiration of my little frag that I picked up when I bought my rocks this week. It was on my rock that I bought from someone locally. It's tiny right now, hopefully he'll be ok until the new light gets here. I think it's some sort of leather. There's also a clam attached to the same rock. Wish me luck! :happyfish
Those lights are or sound great, you should be able to keep what ever you want in your tank with those.
Todd