lighting question

reefen

I have a tank that is 3 1/2 feet deep my live rock from the base is about 2 feet. I have 2 400wt MH and 2 96 wt 03 actinics. can you give me some names of corals or any thing that might like this type of light. I also have alot of flow to my tank.

reefen

Thank you I have found that I can't keep some mushrooms they shrink up to the size of pencil erasures is there any low lighters I shouldn't waste my money on.

golfish

Originally posted by reefen
I have a tank that is 3 1/2 feet deep

Deep meaning tall? Wow, that's a pretty tall tank. Even then I would think that 400 watt MH's would be able to support shrooms on the bottom. My limited experience with shrooms is that they shrink up when there's a lot of light. I would try placing some on the bottom of the tank in a shaded area and some in a lighted area.

reefen

My harry mushrooms love it I can't keep the blues I think they are getting to much light.
Yes it's a very tall tank try moving peices on the bottom it's hell.

reefen

I tryed but unfortunitly in my reef desighn I did hardly any very good low light areas and I am afraid to move things around and upset other happy residents. do you think I went with to much light.

reefen

I kinda had the bigger the better approach to my reef tank. I had fresh water for 19 years and just recently went salt. The ballast alone for this light weighs over 90 pounds. I have fans in my sump and thankfully have not had a problem with temp. I do have to add over a gallon of fresh water a day to keep up with evaporation.