lighting question

stunna1212

i have a 35 gallon hex tank which is 24 in. tall....i am installing a 175 watt MH lamp with 20000k....will this be sufficient to grow corals and have anemones? thanks?

reefraff

I wouldn't go over 14K on the color because the 20K lamps don't provide as much PAR (usable light) for the corals. If you gotta have 20000K move up to a 250 watt system.

reefraff

10k with an actinic light for supplimental is what I'd do. If you can't add an actinic stay at 14K or less. A 10000K lamp on it's own will look a little yellow

stunna1212

what type of setup would you recommend? how big of an actinic light?.... i have 23 in. to work with.....i plan on 1 175w mh and if you think an actinec will look better as well, please let me know what type you recommend...thanks!!!!!!!

reefraff

If you have not bought your lighting yet I would get a Sunlight Supply Reef Optix 250 DE halide pendant and run a phoenix 14 K lamp in it with no supplimental lighting. People who have used the bulb say it looks fantastic on it's own.
If you are locked into the 175 and only have 23" you are going to have PC as your only choice for supplimental but that's OK.
There are a couple of companies that make 24" halide fixtures or hoods you can do a google search on.
Hamilton
Current Orbit
Aquactinics