lighting question

xhappyx

i went to my lfs and they suggested that i use these lights

they are 36" Aqualight 2-96W Square Pin Base
The Aqualight is the complete line of compact fluorescent lighting units for your saltwater, reef or freshwater aquariums. The Aqualight is a sleek and streamlined fixture, designed to enhance and complement your aquarium. The compact and low profile style is equipped with a modern aluminum housing and a highly-polished reflector for optimal lighting. It also includes a protective acrylic lens cover and Coralife compact fluorescent lamps.
Product Information:
Aqualight Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip
# 96 watt 10,000K and 96 watt True Actinic 03 Blue square pin base compact fluorescent lamps
# Two on/off switches with two 8-foot power cords for separate timers
# Built-in ballasts
# Two cooling fans
# Sleek aluminum housing
# Highly-polished reflector
# Acrylic lens cover
just wondering if i'll be able to keep most corals with that type of lighting. thanks.

reefnut

On a 30g tank that lighting will support a wide verity of corals. Mostly soft and LPS corals... no sps corals or light demanding clams or anemones.

xhappyx

i'm so confused when it comes to this lighting. thanks. does anyone know of a good diy with parts that i would need then. my tankk measures 36lx12wx16h. i want to be able to have a good amount of corals and anemones without a problem. and i have no clue what parts are needed. i keep reading and reading up on it but so many different things with no exact answer to what i need to do for my setup. thanks.

reefnut

They have 36" fixtures with a 150w HQI DE MH and 2- 96w PC actinics, this would allow you to keep just about anything. A single 250w HQI DE MH w/o actinics would also be nice IMO.

xhappyx

thanks. now how do i go about finding out what all that means hahaha sorry for the stupid questions.

robchuck

The fixture that Reefnut recommended would probably be your best bet for a complete and intense lighting hood for a 30g. That hood is also made by Coralife and is called the Coralife 36" Aqualight Pro (2x150W HQI MH, actinic PC, and LED moonlights), I believe. If your LFS sells Coralife PC hoods, they should be able to order this for you.

xhappyx

thanks for the help. is there a cheaper diy way of doing that and what would be needed. i'm generally pretty good at this diy stuff. and would love to give it a shot if it's going to save me a couple of bucks

runninfrom

man i was in the same boat but bigger.I need lighting for my 250gal tank and wanted corals but it would take a small fortune so to make a long story short look into t5 high output lighting.Its small not as hot cheaper and if you have a new home depot nearby you can do it really cheap.If you get the t5 ho you can even get sps corals.

xhappyx

Originally Posted by runninfrom
man i was in the same boat but bigger.I need lighting for my 250gal tank and wanted corals but it would take a small fortune so to make a long story short look into t5 high output lighting.Its small not as hot cheaper and if you have a new home depot nearby you can do it really cheap.If you get the t5 ho you can even get sps corals.
if i were to do the t5 what would be needed. no matter how many times i've read this stuff i still have no clue as to what i need to this properly. by moonlights that means just led right? hopefully i understnad that. when u say t5 is that just the bulb or is there an actual fixture i can get from home depot. and how many watts and what is this actinic. sorry i really am just trying to understnad , and so far i'm not and it's just agrivating .thanks

xhappyx

ok i think i have figured out a decent diy it would have 2x150w mh and 2 actinic pc just wondering what watts for that and what ballast i would need thanks.