lighting question!

hun25

Hello, I am new here and cannot believe the wealth of info available on this site!!! I have inherited a 75 gal tank, It is my husbands who is out of the country for awhile. I need to buy a new light and have a choice of two. 6x54 T5HO (324 w total) or 8x54 (432 total) I know he wants to venture into corals when he gets home so I want to make the right choice. Thanks for any guidence I can get.

thegrog

Go with the higher output one. That way you won't need to upgrade later. With 400+ watts of T5, that would give you around 4.5 watts per gallon. Enough for most corals. Borderline for some anemones and most stony corals.
You may want to look into a metal halide (MH) fixture. About the same cost as the T5's you are looking at. Two 250watt bulbs would be plenty for your tank. If you go with the 14,000K or 20,000K bulbs, you won't need any other supplemental bulbs as they will be plenty blue.

slick

hun25, first of all welcome to the board. What is the price on the 8x54 T5 set up? I have never used T5's before so I can't really give advice on them. But I do know that alot of people use MH's and you might be able to upgrade to MH lighting for the same price.

hun25

The 432w is $339.00. I am so confused about this lighting business. With my Hubby out of touch I will have to learn quick!!!!! The bottom line is I want to get him a lighting system that will allow him to go forward with his tank but that wont break the bank!!! My budget is about $400 max. Any suggestions ? Thanks for everyones help.

slick

hun25, your best bet is to set up a (diy) lighting system. (do it yourself) You can get the best lighting for the lowest price that way. Do you have woodworking, and electrical skills? If not do you know anyone that does, like a friend or father? If so let me know and I can give you some more options.

hun25

I think I am going to purchase the 8x54 (432w) light since he came down on the price. My next question is what assortment of bulbs should I get? He has 10K and actinie 420nm he will give me with the light . Thanks for any help I can get!