lighting question

rrcjr1972

What Is The Desired Length Of Time Per Day Should You Have The Nornal Lighting, Actinic And Lunar Lights On Separate Or Together. Im Looking To Set Up Timers And Need To Know How Long For Each. I Have L/r L/s And Anemoties And Tang. Thanks

reefnut

I would run the daylights for 10hrs or so a day, run the actinics 12hrs or so (so they come on 1 hour before the daylights and go off one hour after the daylights) and run the lunar at night as desired.

snipe

Reefnut am I hearing you right? I thought you were the one who ran his light 8 hours and didnt have moon lights?

reefnut

That's the 110g... the MHs run for 8hrs and the actinics run 1hr before and after the MHs. My 55g I run for a total of 12hrs as explained above... but no, I do not have moonlights. But he was asking about his system, not mine :thinking:

snipe

I didnt know you had a 55. I was just wondering how come you run yours 8hours but give ppl advice to run 10hours. But I was just givin ya a hard time.

f1shman

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have a similar question. I'm in the process of cycling my 40 gallon soon to be reef tank. How long should I keep the 150 watt metal halide on? the 2 65 watt power compacts on? and the 2 lunar lights on?

reefnut

Originally Posted by Snipe
I didnt know you had a 55. I was just wondering how come you run yours 8hours but give ppl advice to run 10hours. But I was just givin ya a hard time.
Not sure why?? but I run my PCs the same as I advised.
F1shMan, IME running MHs 8 hours a day is plenty.

reefnut

If you are using the to supplement the MHs then run them one hour before the MHs turn on until one hour after the MHs go off. The lunar lights can be ran any way you want. Some run them for a few hours at night for viewing pleasure and then have them shut off and other run them all night.
Now, the reason I say there is no right answer is because people run their lighting longer and shorter than 8 hours and it works well for their systems. So don't take the 8 hours for gospel, it's just what I have had success with. You could run them longer if you want.