lighting question

cobras68

does anyone know anything about the "current usa dual satellite" lighting system. my local lfs told me it was a very good light. is it really a good light? thanks in advance

cobras68

wow quick reply. thank you. what can i keep in the tank with this lighting system? its a 75 gallon by the way.

J

jtrheaume

How do you like it..... thinking about getting the same

lion_crazz

You have a decent amount of light for a 75. You are running about 3.5 watts per gallon, which means you will be able to keep soft corals such as zoos and mushrooms, as well as some LPS, but not all. SPS are out of the question because they need metal halide.

cobras68

i just set up my tank so i dont know how good it is. it looks good when turned on. i dont really know much about lighting hopefully someone on here can help us out.

lion_crazz

Any other questions?
Oh, BTW, I would not include any anemonies. If you really want an anemone, I would limit your choices to a bubble tip. That is the easiest one to care for, but anemonies should not be added until your tank is VERY established.

lion_crazz

LPS is large polyp stony corals such as bubbles, frogspawn, hammers, torches, etc.
SPS is small polyp stony which include acropora, montipora, etc.
Just do a search for more specific corals.

J

jtrheaume

Originally Posted by cobras68
i just set up my tank so i dont know how good it is. it looks good when turned on. i dont really know much about lighting hopefully someone on here can help us out.

Second that :notsure:

lion_crazz

i also have the regular light that came with the tank set up also. does that help
a little bit, but not much because that does not offer the intensity you need to maintain most corals.

lion_crazz

ok thank you for your quick responses i really appreciate it. im just glad the lfs didnt screw me.
not too much. They did not help you completely, but it is a pretty good light. Enough to keep a good amount of things. Just not close to everything. Make sure you have a LOT of live rock to get things closer to the light.

J

jtrheaume

what kind of light do i need to be able to keep everything?
Wait i think i got this one...
Metal Hilide

J

jtrheaume

ok how much do those run for a 75 gallon tank?
Wow... i am new and have spent many hours looking at just that....
I will let you "gulp" at that one... Google MH lighting