Lighting question

mrchinky71

Okay, I just recently started my 30G tank. I have some live rock on there and a 1-2 inch sand bed. Heres my question right now im using the lighting that came with the tank, but i would like to keep some corals. Do i just buy the bulbs and replace them? or would i need to get a new hood? what kinda hood is inexpensive but good enough to keep corals? Im on a real tight budget so if possible i want to keep the hood + bulbs under 120$

scsinet

Simply changing the bulb probably isn't enough. The only way you could get away with a single bulb is metal halide, which is not in your budget. Multiple fluorescents are the way to go...
Before we attack this... do you have the means/ability to construct a canopy on your own (basic power tools, skills, etc)?

mrchinky71

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Simply changing the bulb probably isn't enough. The only way you could get away with a single bulb is metal halide, which is not in your budget. Multiple fluorescents are the way to go...
Before we attack this... do you have the means/ability to construct a canopy on your own (basic power tools, skills, etc)?

i have basic power tools yes. Skills i can learn after trial and error =P

scsinet

Well, DIYing a solution based on VHO might be a solution. Many of the online aquatic stores sell a variety of components.
Another thing you can do is get yourself a Jebo/Odyssea system. I found a 36" 192 watt compact fluorescent system for 80 bucks online, that may actually be your best shot. That would give you 6wpg, so you could keep most of the easier corals (leathers, mushrooms, torch/hammer) and even possibly a low light clam like a t. Derasa if you are careful.
I found a 36" metal halide system for 180. This would allow you to keep anything you wanted, except be aware that Odyssea systems have halide bulbs that can be hard to find, and the older generation metal halide systems had problems with starting fires (although supposedly they fixed this issue with the newest systems).
Make no mistake, these lighting systems are low end chinese imports, but many people on this board like them for their performance vs. price. I personally build all my own lighting systems, but I realized after asking about your building skills that even then there is little chance of meeting your budget.
Keep in mind that the lighting system is usually one of the most expensive components of a reef system.

mrchinky71

Well, DIYing a solution based on VHO might be a solution. Many of the online aquatic stores sell a variety of components.
Another thing you can do is get yourself a Jebo/Odyssea system. I found a 36" 192 watt compact fluorescent system for 80 bucks online, that may actually be your best shot. That would give you 6wpg, so you could keep most of the easier corals (leathers, mushrooms, torch/hammer) and even possibly a low light clam like a t. Derasa if you are careful.
I found a 36" metal halide system for 180. This would allow you to keep anything you wanted, except be aware that Odyssea systems have halide bulbs that can be hard to find, and the older generation metal halide systems had problems with starting fires (although supposedly they fixed this issue with the newest systems).
Make no mistake, these lighting systems are low end chinese imports, but many people on this board like them for their performance vs. price. I personally build all my own lighting systems, but I realized after asking about your building skills that even then there is little chance of meeting your budget.
Keep in mind that the lighting system is usually one of the most expensive components of a reef system.
with the Jebo 36" will i be able to keep corals such as LPS and SPS corals? Those are the corals im more interested in keeping.

scsinet

You are quickly coming to a catch 22 situation. You want to be able to keep some of the most light hungry inverts out there, but don't want to spend any money on the lighting system to do it.
I doubt you'll be able to keep these corals successfully under anything but metal halide. It's practically impossible to get a metal halide setup for 120 bucks. The Odyssea metal halide setup I mentioned for 180 will work for you, but it's does have the drawbacks listed above and it's more than your budget permits.

mrchinky71

You are quickly coming to a catch 22 situation. You want to be able to keep some of the most light hungry inverts out there, but don't want to spend any money on the lighting system to do it.
I doubt you'll be able to keep these corals successfully under anything but metal halide. It's practically impossible to get a metal halide setup for 120 bucks. The Odyssea metal halide setup I mentioned for 180 will work for you, but it's does have the drawbacks listed above and it's more than your budget permits.

i guess i'll just have to bite the bullet on this one. What are some decent mh setups? Are any available for under 250$ that are better than the one you suggested?

scsinet

Honestly, I don't know much about any ready made lighting systems other than what I said above. I can't speak for the quality of any of it.
Rest assured, there isn't anything particularly wrong with the Odyssea systems except that you pretty much have to get replacement bulbs from them, and be sure to buy a brand new system, not a used one. If you get a used one you run the risk of ending up with one of the ones with the defect.
Frankly, with your budget, it may be the best bet for you.
You can also go fluorescent if you are willing to scrap the SPS idea. You'll be able to keep any soft coral under fluorescent. You may even be able to keep SPS with a powerful fluorescent system. There are lots of members here who will say I'm all wet (no pun intended) because I always yell "HALIDE HALIDE HALIDE." I'm just one who prefers to do the job right the first time...
I ran VHO for the first year of my reef before I converted to Halide. As it happens, I'm glad I did, but I was even able to keep bubble tip anemones with that system.

mrchinky71

Honestly, I don't know much about any ready made lighting systems other than what I said above. I can't speak for the quality of any of it.
Rest assured, there isn't anything particularly wrong with the Odyssea systems except that you pretty much have to get replacement bulbs from them, and be sure to buy a brand new system, not a used one. If you get a used one you run the risk of ending up with one of the ones with the defect.
Frankly, with your budget, it may be the best bet for you.
You can also go fluorescent if you are willing to scrap the SPS idea. You'll be able to keep any soft coral under fluorescent. You may even be able to keep SPS with a powerful fluorescent system. There are lots of members here who will say I'm all wet (no pun intended) because I always yell "HALIDE HALIDE HALIDE." I'm just one who prefers to do the job right the first time...
I ran VHO for the first year of my reef before I converted to Halide. As it happens, I'm glad I did, but I was even able to keep bubble tip anemones with that system.

Okay i just ordered the 36" metal halide lighting unit from aquatraders.com Is this a reputable site? Also with that set up I can keep LPS correct? on oregonreef.com what type of corals does he the site owner have? his corals are beautiful. hmmm I wonder will this greatly increase my electric bill of 240/month =( exactly how much watts per gallon should i be looking at if i want to keep LPS and SPS?

scsinet

It's best not to ask about a site's reputation AFTER you do business with them. :thinking:
With that halide unit you should be able to keep about anything.
Steve's tank is the exception, not the rule, but nonetheless a dream we all have.

mrchinky71

It's best not to ask about a site's reputation AFTER you do business with them. :thinking:
With that halide unit you should be able to keep about anything.
Steve's tank is the exception, not the rule, but nonetheless a dream we all have.

I really like the colors of his coral. I would like to keep colorful corals like that. Its also okay, i can still cancel the order if the site has a bad reputation. I just couldn't find anything about them on resellerratings.com