Lighting question ??

coachd

If I am only wanting to keep soft corals and lps, can I use vho or T5's, instead of MH's? If so how much wattage per gallon would be recommended?
I know that most people use MH, but if I can get away with something that might run cooler,and a little cheaper, I think it would be better in my situation.
I have a canopy so I would be using a reto fit system.

coachd

My tank is 24' deep, 18' wide, and 84" long . My lights will be about 10 inches from the top of my tank in a canopy.

farslayer

You don't need MH for softies and LPS, so the answer is yes, you can keep them under VHO or T5s if you want. I kept softies and LPS for years under just PC lighting with no problems, then upgraded to a 125G tank and MH/T5 combination light from aqua medic. I only got the MH because I want to keep clams, otherwise I would have gone VHO. Well, plus the MH cast the shimmer of the water on the bottom of the tank, but I've also noticed that the T5s do the same thing.

farslayer

Watts aren't really relevant, you're looking for PAR value :) Are you going to build your lights or do you want to buy a set? I am very, VERY happy with my Aqua Medic hanging set of lights. How long is your tank? How deep?

matt819

If your tank is 18" wide...with t5's you might be able to squeez up to like 8 of them at the most, at least 6 bulbs. But with the length of your tank, you might have to use 36" bulbs, you'd have about 6" off each end where the bulb will not reach (36x2=72; 84-72=12) but that'd be alright. The 36 inchers run 39w a piece, so if you did 6 on each side, you'd have 12 running for a total of 408w, which isn't bad, but 8 on each side would definitely be better, just see what you can fit. Usually the reflectors are 1.5" so you should be able to fit 8 of them...that'd be 564w is my math is right

farslayer

Nope, 8 on each side would be 16 total for a grand total of 624W (see, that undergrad in math pays!). I still warn, however, that PAR is more important than watts. But I think 16 39W T5s will be just fine for softies and LPS :) And should look very nice, my actinics are T5s and I love them, I have four (2 per side) over my 125 in addition to the 4 250W MHs.

matt819

But yes...that many would be great...VHO or power compact actinics are actually preferred over the t5 actinics, they look a lot better, but hey...as long as they do the job, right? I run 4 48" 54w over a 55 and keep softies and LPS just fine, even on the sandbed!

fanker

ya dont get actinic t-5s very dull but if u get the actinic+ than its like the pc but much brighter, more par and way more light