Lighting question

swaddict

I have a 55g tank and I plan to get some MH lights. I have searched around and found minimum requirements for light wattage. My question is can you have TO much wattage? I found a set of MH lights on ----, 768 Watts, and i'm concerned that it might be to much. The tank is 48 in wide if that helps. Also would i be better to get two 24in lights or one single 48in?
thanks alot for you help!
Great site by the way!
-Brian

nigerbang

If it was me..(assuming your going reef) I would buy a 48" with 2x250 HQI...My cousin is starting a 55 and thats what I reccomened to him..

watson3

I am not sure that metal halides come in 24 and 48..The fixtures do, but if you got the 24, where would you attach the other end? You may also be looking at a lot of heating issues with that much light in a shallow tank..

swaddict

My tank has a divider in the middle that i can attach it to. I'll get a chiller if I have to, I just dont want the lights to harm my inhabitants due to the wattage they are rated at. The site I found them on has 24in fixtures and 48in and wasn't sure which route to take. Thanks for the quick replies!!

useskaforevil

some center fixtures are not meant to have weight applied to them. they arent strong in that direction. also, lumens, not watts are whats important. if you are planning on buyign a chiller look into solaris lights. they run very cool (80degreesish) and chillers are not usually needed. but a 48inch will cost you $2100-$2500