Lighting question

larryndana

Ok, so long story short....i've finished cycling a 30gal. What kind of lighting should i get? For now its gonna be FOWLR, maybe later i'll add some softies. thats it, zoos and mushrooms....nothing exciting.
As for lighting, i'd like to get some that would acommadate corals down the road. But like stated nothing that needs alot of lighting.
some that i was looking at:
Nova Extreme T-5 36" 78 watt; 10,000°K & 460 nm actinic
Single Satellite Compact Fluorescent 36" 1-96 watt
Dual Satellite Compact Fluorescent 36" 2-96 watt
or should i just go with a regular lighting from All-Glass or Perfecto and get a better lighting down the road.

bigman

go with the better lighting in case you wanna up grade whats in ur tank you wont have to change the light, and or spend money twice

larryndana

so then either the dual satellite or the nova extreme t-5? anyone?
are there any other lighting that i should look at?

fishfreek

You can also look at TEK retros if you can go that way. I have two 2x39w t5s on my 37 reef and LOVE it! You could get away with a 2x39w unit with 1-aquablue and 1- blueplus bulb, that would give you lots of PAR and a nice look IMO.

larryndana

i see the TEC retro for 114.99.
but i can get a Nova extreme for 89.99
they both are 2x39 watts. 78 total watts.

larryndana

Originally Posted by sign guy
Id get a 192watt coralife power compact it wrks god for me on my 46
Coralife over Current?
same pc lighting, coralife 202.49 and current 165.69. any differences?

sign guy

t5's are better than pc's. I didnt realize they were that cheap. both are a type of florecent but a t5 is desigend to put out a higer par.power compact is the same as a compact florsent its a twin bulb design

fishfreek

The nova does have an attractive price but only uses one reflector for the two bulbs. The key to t5 lighting is the individual parabolic reflector, with this, the bulb is able to use ALL the light the bulbs gives off and put it in your tank. I've seen stats that state using indivigual reflectors increase light output by almost 300%.

larryndana

i believe i found the same nova light for even cheaper. i think they may have the wrong picture for it. anywho.... its 67.90.
Nova Extreme 36" T5 HO 2 x 39 watt #31353

coachklm

stick with t-5 --the price of the bulbs over pc will shock you as I have 4x96w coralifes over my 40g and bulbs are @40.00 /ea whereas t-5's are 21.99/ea
needless to say I'm searching for a set of t-5's instead of replacing the bulbs.

larryndana

so now i'm thinking of just making it into a reef. i haven't bought anything yet.
would i be able to keep clams with 4 t5's on a 30long?

steve24

Originally Posted by larryndana
so now i'm thinking of just making it into a reef. i haven't bought anything yet.
would i be able to keep clams with 4 t5's on a 30long?
IMHO - with those light you can keep anything.
i have the aquatinics (kinda pricey) T5 5-54w on my 55, me and my corals love them

fishfreek

I agree with what was said above. I run 4x39w t-5 on my 39g mixed reef and everything is loving it. I run 1-aquasun, 1-aquablue, 1- super actinic and 1-blue plus, looks great in my opinion!

braydonosu

I have a standard AGA 75 gal aquarium. If I wanted to get T5's, (since they are all sold by watts) what wattage should I get if all I want is leathers, zoos, and star polyps?